elizabeth bancroft

Default advice for disposable cell phone for a trip

My 11 year old son is going to take a cross country plane trip and I would like to get him one of those disposable cell phones. Does anyone have any suggestions on brands/stores where to get one? Any suggestions on minutes to buy, where to buy etc... is greatly appreciated. Also, what not to buy is helpful, too. Thanks, Elizabeth

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
    Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating" at Yahoo! Autos' Green Center.

Christy

The best one that I know of is Tracfone-- as far as being able to pick

up a signal just about anywhere; the problem is with the selection of

phones. The little Motorolla (sp) C190 (I think), is a piece of junk

for it functionality, but the flip ones seem to be okay. The next

best, but more pricey would be an Altell U-pay phone. With the U-pay,

you more of a selection of phones because you can buy any phone that

you want, but the set up process and expense is way more than with the

Tracfone. I hope this helps.

armstrca

<DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="310253214-30052007">Virgin wireless is good. You can go to their website (https://www.virginmobileusa.com/), get a reconditioned phone for $10 + S&H. Get the phone set up, then get minutes added then or go to walmart or Target and get a phone card there if/when they have them on sale (sometime have 2 $30 cards for $50). You would need to top it up every 90 days or when he runs out of minutes (or just 90 days if he uses the minutes up too fast <grin>).
    <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="310253214-30052007">Actually my 12 yo son's cell in one of these phones. That way, if he looses it, I am not out big bucks or have to pay extra on my cell bill for a lost (expensive) phone. And I can easily swap the unused minutes to a new $10 phone and keep the same #.

From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of elizabeth bancroft
    Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:38 AM
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: Budget101.com : advice for disposable cell phone for a trip<SPAN class="310253214-30052007">
    <SPAN class="310253214-30052007">
    My 11 year old son is going to take a cross country plane trip and I would like to get him one of those disposable cell phones. Does anyone have any suggestions on brands/stores where to get one? Any suggestions on minutes to buy, where to buy etc... is greatly appreciated. Also, what not to buy is helpful, too.

dnawalker

<FONT face="Arial Narrow">I like the prices of T-Mobile pay as you go phones. They are cheap to purchase at Target and the minutes are cheap too. WHATEVER phone you choose, make sure it covers the area of your intended use before you buy or you will be wasting your time.
    <FONT face="Arial Narrow">
    <FONT face="Arial Narrow">April

lyn

I totally agree with this writter....virgin mobile are awsome...excellent service..and at the end of it if you are finished with the phone...they encourage you to recycle it....
    my son and I both use these phones

Lyn

[quote]
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:42 AM
    Subject: Budget101.com : Re: advice for disposable cell phone for a trip

<DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="310253214-30052007">Virgin wireless is good. You can go to their website (https://www.virginmobileusa.com/), get a reconditioned phone for $10 + S&H. Get the phone set up, then get minutes added then or go to walmart or Target and get a phone card there if/when they have them on sale (sometime have 2 $30 cards for $50). You would need to top it up every 90 days or when he runs out of minutes (or just 90 days if he uses the minutes up too fast <grin>).
    <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="310253214-30052007">Actually my 12 yo son's cell in one of these phones. That way, if he looses it, I am not out big bucks or have to pay extra on my cell bill for a lost (expensive) phone. And I can easily swap the unused minutes to a new $10 phone and keep the same #.

From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of elizabeth bancroft
    Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:38 AM
    Subject: Budget101.com : advice for disposable cell phone for a trip<SPAN class="310253214-30052007">
    <SPAN class="310253214-30052007">
    My 11 year old son is going to take a cross country plane trip and I would like to get him one of those disposable cell phones. Does anyone have any suggestions on brands/stores where to get one? Any suggestions on minutes to buy, where to buy etc... is greatly appreciated. Also, what not to buy is helpful, too.

No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.8.3/824 - Release Date: 5/29/2007 1:01 PM

Darrelle Radcliff

I like the Verizon pre-paid phones

Christy <christy_yazzie@msn.com> wrote: The best one that I know of is Tracfone-- as far as being able to pick
    up a signal just about anywhere; the problem is with the selection of
    phones. The little Motorolla (sp) C190 (I think), is a piece of junk
    for it functionality, but the flip ones seem to be okay. The next
    best, but more pricey would be an Altell U-pay phone. With the U-pay,
    you more of a selection of phones because you can buy any phone that
    you want, but the
    set up process and expense is way more than with the
    Tracfone. I hope this helps.

&#32;
    Bored stiff? Loosen up...
    Download and play hundreds of games for free on Yahoo! Games.

mem68

I have the Trac Fone-got the reconditioned one for $9.99 and minutes for 1

year for $125.00 BUT I wish that I had known that w/ the second order I

could have gotten double minutes. I would have gotten a card w/ only a few

minutes and then gotten one for a year w/ double minutes.

----- Original Message -----

To: <Budget101_@yahoogroups.com>

Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:23 AM

Subject: Budget101.com : Re: advice for disposable cell phone for a trip

> The best one that I know of is Tracfone-- as far as being able to pick

> up a signal just about anywhere; the problem is with the selection of

GAil Moncivais

Hi Gail Here I have a tracfone and I am very pleased wth it . THe old tracfones you had to call in to redem a card but with the newer ones it is different. After the first card is put in at initial set up you can add minutes right on the phone. There is no more codes to put in after initial set up, just add minutes on the set up menue and put in the pin number on the card it takes a few seconds but it will add the minutes on to the current time. One thing about tracfones cards are available in a wide variety of places. Gail N.E PA

&#32;
    Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on Yahoo! TV.