Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default We dumped the satellite tv and have more to watch for way less $$$$

It will take a while to break even but then it is all $ in the bank! Dh has refused the last 20 years not to have satellite or cable tv. I converted him! I tried a free month of Netflix streaming first since it would stream through the Wii. He was impressed but couldnt watch some shows. HuluPlus had them. I tried a free trial of that. He watched it on the computer.

We were almost set. However he couldnt get the chanel 90 miles away with the football games! We went to Radio Shack and talked to them. They guaranteed we could pull that channel in plus more with a roof top antenna. We are very rural and 30-90 miles from all TV stations. $140 later for everything we needed we got 12 local channels because that baby pulled channels up to 150 miles!

Dh loved both Netflix and HuluPlus. However a needed something that could stream both. Got it! A discounted Roku! Ok $50 more dollars. We had now spent $190 to dump the satellite tv and still keep the hubby happy. However even with paying for Netflix and HuluPlus ($15.98 for both) we were still saving $39.02 a month. With saving $39.02 a month everything after a little under 5 months to recoup the cost of the Roku plus the antenna is $ in the bank. The investment will give us many years of much lower costs to watch tv with lost more options! !

1 year is $ 468.24
    2 years is $ 936.49
    3 years is 04.72

5 years is $ 2341.00

NOT to shabby!

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: We dumped the satellite tv and have more to watch for way less $$$$

I wish we had that option here, we don't have high speed internet available in our area, so streaming "Anything" is out! Really frustrating, because I would dump the satellite in a heartbeat.

thanks for sharing, maybe some other members will give it a try and save some cash too!
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was shocked it worked so well to be honest as we have Centurytels dsl and are rural. The dsl is a slower speed but still loads netflix and hulu ok. Live streaming on the roku has long pauses. However there is so much that works great is is fine

I do hope the info helps someone. I never knew there were options in all options until I read a post elsewhere about it.

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wish I could drop satelite internet and Tv both but nothing else is in the area.....hate to cost.

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very cool!! We have netflixs and don't have any input to our tv-we just use it to watch dvds and play PS2

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am stuck in a contract for satellite tv. I'm really considering cancelling early and paying the fees and going back to free tv and netflix.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heart Re: We dumped the satellite tv and have more to watch for way less $$$$

We dumped DirecTV after years and years of service. We were one of the first in out area to get it. In fact when they first started, you had to buy the dish and the box. We still have ours. We started out at $39.00 a month and had all the regular channels plus Stars and Encore movies. It kept going up higher every month to where it was costing almost $100 a month. We have a lot of DVD's that we have either recorded off the TV or that we have bought at Walmart and other places for $10 or less. We do buy a new release occasionally, but not often. It has to be something that we will watch over and over again.

Our DSL is through WildBlue. It's around $50 a month. Love it!
    Last edited by LNsGirl; 12-03-2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    LNsGirl, Debbie J

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles2 View Post
    We were almost set. However he couldnt get the chanel 90 miles away with the football games! We went to Radio Shack and talked to them. They guaranteed we could pull that channel in plus more with a roof top antenna. We are very rural and 30-90 miles from all TV stations. $140 later for everything we needed we got 12 local channels because that baby pulled channels up to 150 miles!
    Our city offers free wifi city-wide- the catch is, it's about 5 miles from us and stops there. We're considering building an antenna and putting it in the back of the horse pasture to get free wifi and get rid of all of our mifi cards (we have Several due to the data limits and the need for high speed internet with websites to maintain!).

It's great that you were able to use a little ingenuity to save some cash, I love it! Thanks for sharing
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast