Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBQ B.day party

Downloads
    Uploads

Default BBQ B.day party

Hello Everyone~

We are having a birthday party for my daughter, BBQ style. I invited a few friends and family my DH invited a lot more people, then tells me "I think we invited to many people" You think? Anyway, what am I to do but deal with it! I thought it might be okay because I was always told that the rule was only half are suppose to show up? Just my luck I will be cooking for about 40 people and the list keeps getting longer! I have a few people bringing things but I need to cover most of it. If I have guessed correctly I'm thinking it will total out to be about 50 people. Yes, that is me you hear crying!

I was wondering if someone could help me out with a good recipe for pasta salad, macaroni salad and salsa.
    The salsa I'm looking for is all blended up, not chunky, mild and hot would be great!
    Plus, I'm tired of the "BBQ sauce" BBQ chicken, any other suggestions? Although that might be the cheapest to go? I had planned on Chicken and hot dogs but maybe hot dogs and hamburgers?
    Just looking for some ideas?
    Tanya in CA. ~Thank You~

Downloads
    Uploads

RE: Budget101.com : BBQ B.day party

Why salsa? I have a recipe for it, but keep it as simple as possible. I will post it next. Why not just get a couple of the big tubs of beans, potato salad & cole slaw from your local grocery store? Those are fairly large and will feed 20 or so people.

Then get a couple of bags of the inexpensive pre-formed hamburgers (they will be cheaper then chicken) and a couple pkgs of the Jenny-o hotdogs (I think there are like 30 in a pkg).
    Get a head of lettuce, a couple jars of hamburger dills, mustard, catsup, mayo, sweet relish, tomatoes, cheese slices, etc.. whatever condiments you use for burgers & hotdogs and buns for both. Have people bring desserts.

Oh... have everyone cook their own burgers or dogs on your gas grill - make sure you have a spare propane tank available. Then lay out the condiments, plates & buns buffet style. Serve iced tea and lemonade (or Hawaiian punch (from concentrate) for drinks, with bags of ice in ice chests for the drinks.
    Make it as easy on yourself as possible.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: BBQ B.day party

The pasta salad I always make for get togethers is an italian pasta
    salad, and really easy to make.

I use 1 box of rotini noodles (SAL for $.59), 1 bottle of italian
    dressing (which I get at SAL for $.99), and I sprinkle in some
    parmasean cheese & italian seasonings.

Depending on how much money I have to "splurge", I also add some (or
    all) of the following:

2 cans of shredded chicken (like the tuna fish- grocery story for
    $1.19)
    1 can of sliced black olives (can't recall the cost)
    A handful of cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced

Downloads
    Uploads

RE: Budget101.com : TNT Salsa Recipe... was.... BBQ B.day party

My salsa recipe

1 Big (32oz / 46 oz or whatever size it is) can of whole or diced tomatoes
    Large or Small onion - chopped finely.
    1 (or more) Jalapeno Pepper chopped (these are usually somewhat mild)
    2 (or more or less) Serrano peppers (these are hot)
    1/2+ tsp each: (** Note at bottom)
    Lemon Pepper
    Ground Cumin
    Garlic Powder (not garlic salt)
    1-2 Tbsp cilantro (chopped) (optional)

Place all ingredients in a blender in reverse order (starting with the last ingredient). Pulse, quickly, the blender 5 to 19 times. Remember you are making salsa - not gazpacho (cold tomato soup).

Or you can put the ingredients in a bowl in the order listed, then stir with one of those hand (stick or straight) blenders. The blades on the blender will chop everything up a bit more (I usually aim for the tomatoes) and mix it at the same time. Do this until it is the desired consistency or chunkiness.

**Note - add more to taste after all blended
    This can be stored in any container without metal on it for 1-2 months. If metal is there, the tomatoes will eat through it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Budget101.com : BBQ B.day party

go to sams club or walmart foods or woodmans . and get a bunch of brawts (what ever is the cheapest ones ) its cheaper to buy in bulk . also look up the markets and see whats on sale . i buy pork spare ribs for about $1 at pound when on sale. also you can find a big box of burgers for about $12-$15 for the big box. then off to the bread store and see what thay want for bunns. you can feed every one for a bout $1 to $1.50 a person. If you plan and look for the sale. then have about 5 or 6 people bring stuff. even if its like pop. and all the other.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tanya,

Here is a recipe for chicken barbecue that is really popular in New York state and northeastern Pennsylvania. It is really good and a change of pace from the usual barbecue sauce. I just recently bought some whole chickens for $.79 a pound and cut up myself, so chicken can be very economical.

Cornell Barbecue Sauce
    2 cups vinegar
    1 cup oil
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
    3 tablespoons salt (or to taste)
    1/2 tsp pepper (or to taste)

Blend in blender until smooth. I usually marinate the chicken overnight and baste the chicken periodically while cooking.

The raw egg is fine because the high acid content of the sauce from the vinegar would kill any bacteria that could potentially be present.

For my macaroni salad, the dressing I make consists of:
    1 cup salad dressing
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 tsp mustard
    1-1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp paprika

I usually use about 22 ounces of macaroni, 6 hard boiled eggs, then add whatever else you wish. I usually use 4 ounces pimientos, 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish, minced fresh parsley, and chopped celery, onion, green pepper. Some people do not like so many veggies, so it all depends on what you prefer in your salad.

For pasta salad, I usually use a box of the spiral pasta, green pepper, onion, tomato, pepperoni, and ham, but again it all depends on your personal preferences. For the sauce, 1 cup oil, 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup sugar, and 1 packet Good Seasonings Italian.

Good luck with your party!

Jodi

Downloads
    Uploads

this is the salsa my mom always made (please note: all measurments
    are VERY approximate)

1 can diced tomatos
    1 can tomotillos (since you're here in CA, you should be able to find
    them in the mexican food isle, they're usually near the enchilada
    sauce at the stores near me)
    1 can diced chilies (the green ones)
    a bit of onion (whatever kind you have, i usually end up using about a
    quarter, but i've used a whole one before)
    some garlic (fresh, jarred, whatever)
    1 bunch cilantro
    couple of pinches of sugar

to prepare the tomotillos, open the can, remove the paper-y skin and
    most of the core (sadly this creates alot of waste, but this is how
    i've always made it). then toss everything but the sugar into the
    blender/food processor. once it's as smooth as you'd like, toss it
    into a sauce pan or something, add the sugar, toss on a lid and put
    over low heat for about 30 min to 2 hours (this depends on how rushed
    you are). then chill if you want, or serve fresh.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Budget101.com : BBQ B.day party

Potato Salad

boil potatoes in the skin. When cooked, peel the skin and cut in 1/2 circles or cubed. I then add Italian dressing, baken bits and onion, cut in 1/2 circles or cubed. If you have fussy guests omit the onions. Toss together, cool in the fridge. You can make this a day ahead.

Taco Salad

Brown 1 LB of ground beef and ad taco package (like making tacos), let meat cool. To that I add about 1/2 of torn ice burg lettuce, 2-3 medium size chopped tomatoes, 1 pkg. shredded cheddar cheese, 1 bag crushed nacho chips (I get off brand), 1/2 bottle of Catalonia salad dressing. In a large bowl mix all of the ingredients and let it sit for a couple of hours. Taste and see if you need to add more of the ingredients for your taste. You can make this a day ahead.

Melissa from Illinois

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast