Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freezers

Cassie Homer

Default Freezers

Hi all, I have considered getting a small chest freezer to buy more items in bulk when they're on sale or making dinners and freezing them and hopefully cut down on our take out food costs and unhealthy consumption. I have always hesitated because I have been concerned the electricity it would consume would outweigh the economical benefits of the freezer. For those of you who use freezers, what do you think of the money involved in costs of running them? Is a brand better and more energy efficient than another brand? Thanks, Cassie

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? <a href="
    http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/?fr=oni_on_mail&#news"> Find a flick</a> in no time
    with the<a href="

http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/?fr=oni_on_mail&#news">Yahoo! Search movie showtime shortcut.</a>

Carrie

Default Freezers

I have a freezer and I have had it for 15 years so I really don't know what it adds to our hydro bill. I do know that chest freezers are more efficient than uprights. Look for an energy star label if you are looking for an efficient one. I have a kenmore and I have had it for many years. I feel that I have saved a ton of money over the years with my little freezer. I can always stock up on sales of meat. Meat is such an expensive part of our grocery budget it really helps to stock up when it is on sale. One recommendation that I do have is do not get too big of freezer. they run more efficiently when they are fuller. My freezer is a small 7 cubic feet. i find that it is a perfect size for our family of 4. It is not too big that things get lost in it. I find that I am able to use things up before they get old and freezer burned. When we bought our freezer it was just the 2 of us. I always thought that I would have to get a bigger one when I had kids but this size has
    worked well for us. My mom has a huge freezer and she has to go through it every year an throw out food that has gotten freezer burned because it got lost in the bottom. Carrie

Cassie Homer <cassiehomer@yahoo.com> wrote: I have considered getting a small chest freezer to buy more items in bulk when they're on sale or making dinners

&#32;
    All new Yahoo! Mail -
    Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane.

~trina~

Default Freezers

I bought a chest freezer (7cu feet?) and
    it costs very very little per year to run.

I have an energy efficient one and bought
    from Sams club.

You may check online at www.samsclub.com it may very well give
    costs ~trina~

-----Original Message-----

[mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
    Of
    Cassie Homer

Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 1:09
    PM

To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com

Subject: Budget101.com : Freezers

Hi all,

I have considered getting a small chest freezer to buy
    more items in bulk when they're on sale or making dinners and freezing them and
    hopefully cut down on our take out food costs and unhealthy consumption.
    I have always hesitated because I have been concerned the electricity it would
    consume would outweigh the economical benefits of the freezer. For those
    of you who use freezers, what do you think of the money involved in costs of
    running them? Is a brand better and more energy efficient than another
    brand?

Thanks,

Cassie

<hr size="1" width="100%" align="center">

8:00?
    8:25? 8:40? <a href="%0d%0ahttp:/tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/?fr=oni_on_mail&#news">Find
    a flick</a> in no time

with the<a href="%0d%0ahttp:/tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/?fr=oni_on_mail&#news">Yahoo!
    Search movie showtime shortcut.</a> <font color="white"><span style="color:<span width="1">

Monica

Default Freezers

We have a commercial size upright freezer and have never noticed a change in our electric bill since having it. We used to have a very old fridge/freezer (over 15yrs old) and even with that I don't think our bill increased more than a few cents each month.

You could try asking for one on your local freecycle if you are still concerned. It will be older but free and if you think your bill changes to much you can re-freecycle it. But honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure I've saved hundreds on bulk purchases and pre-prepared meals that saved ordering in.

Monica in IL

armstrca

Default Freezers

<DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="835550913-11042007">They are all about the same (very low maintenance and cost). Get a manual defrost chest freezer - not a frost free or an upright. They use little energy and are very efficient. I have a 3.8 cu ft chest freezer. The frost free's & uprights use more energy then the others.

From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Cassie Homer
    Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 3:09 PM
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: Budget101.com : Freezers<SPAN class="835550913-11042007">
    <SPAN class="835550913-11042007">
    I have considered getting a small chest freezer. I have always hesitated because I have been concerned the electricity it would consume would outweigh the economical benefits of the freezer.

Herlean

Default Freezers

We have one stand alone freezer (stand up type, not chest type). I do know that is is more efficient in your house than in the garage. We put ours in the utility room with washer & dryer. Put it someplace that will not be damaging carpet if it leaks.Fill up empty milk jugs with water for the empty space. It will work better that way. Herlean

Cassie Homer <cassiehomer@yahoo.com> wrote: Hi all, I have considered getting a small chest freezer to buy more items in bulk when they're on sale or making dinners and freezing them and hopefully cut down on our take out food costs and unhealthy consumption. I have always hesitated because I have been concerned the electricity it would consume would outweigh the economical
    benefits of the freezer. For those of you who use freezers, what do you think of the money involved in costs of running them? Is a brand better and more energy efficient than another brand? Thanks, Cassie 8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
    with theYahoo! Search movie showtime shortcut.

&#32;
    Need Mail bonding?
    Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A for great tips from Yahoo! Answers users.

Herlean

Default Freezers

I am still debating selling our current house (a single family residence with a yard) and moving into a condo. Among the ideas that are running through my head: <UL> <LI>Will getting a condo that is less expensive than our current home really save money?</LI> <LI>What about condo fees? Will they negate the savings in house payments?</LI> <LI>Will we ever be able to afford to buy a house like this one we currently have again in the future, since real estate appreciates?</LI> <LI>I really want our kids to grow up in a house with a yard to play in, like we have now, but the debt situation sometimes seems like a mountain crushing down on us and I wonder if one is truly better than the other.</LI> <LI>Ideally, we want to keep our current house, but if we have to sell and move, how much does a realtor cost?</LI> <LI>The cost of storage of our stuff while open houses are running? Very little extra $$$ for a storage unit. Forget PODS like
    you see on t.v., they are really expensive.</LI> <LI>Will we truly be saving money by moving? The cost of preparing the house for sale, packing,storage, moving, finding another place, paying the realtor, fees associated with all that (does anybody truly know what the costs are?)</LI>[/list]Help!!!!! Thanks! Herlean

&#32;
    We won't tell. Get more on <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49980/*http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
    ">shows you hate to love</a>
    (and love to hate): <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49980/*http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
    ">Yahoo! TV's Guilty Pleasures list.</a>

Makalei Ohlund

Default Freezers

Herlean, what kind of equity do you have in your current home? Will you

walk away with $$ after the fact? The housing market is not working in a

sellers favor right now, have you had an analysis done to see what the

current market value is? I am a Realtor and also a Mortgage Loan Officer

so the first ideas that run into my head are What are you going to gain

vs. What are you sacrificing. A realtors fees vary but I definately do not

advise trying it on your own if you are already stressed and in a

financial bind. Where I live, Realtors get 6% of the sale price.

> I am still debating selling our current house (a single family residence

> with a yard) and moving into a condo. Among the ideas that are running

> through my head:

>

> Will getting a condo that is less expensive than our current home

> really save money? What about condo fees? Will they negate the

> savings in house payments? Will we ever be able to afford to buy a

> house like this one we currently have again in the future, since real

> estate appreciates? I really want our kids to grow up in a house

> with a yard to play in, like we have now, but the debt situation

> sometimes seems like a mountain crushing down on us and I wonder if

> one is truly better than the other. Ideally, we want to keep our

> current house, but if we have to sell and move, how much does a

> realtor cost? The cost of storage of our stuff while open houses

> are running? Very little extra $$$ for a storage unit. Forget PODS

> like you see on t.v., they are really expensive. Will we truly be

> saving money by moving? The cost of preparing the house for sale,

> packing, storage, moving, finding another place, paying the realtor,

> fees associated with all that (does anybody truly know what the costs

> are?)

> Help!!!!!

>

> Thanks!

>

> Herlean

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> We won't tell. Get more on shows you hate to love

> (and love to hate): Yahoo! TV's Guilty Pleasures list.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast