Jane

Default My own experience with ADD, and some ideas that might help.

Wow, lots of interest in this subject! But it's a complicated

one...and this letter is long, but feel free to learn from my

research. I'm a mom, not a doctor, but I've done some pretty

extensive research on ADD, thanks to a teacher that pushed medication

for my son, and a doctor who pushed NO medication... and have come up

with a few "no drug solutions" so to speak. I can say it worked for

me and my son, don't know about anyone else.

Like many, I have difficulty with paying attention, and my son had

trouble doing things he didn't like, even though they were necessary.

We don't act up, or cause any trouble for anyone, we just zone out.

It's called "Passive ADD" but it's very similar to other forms. Any

word would make a connection in our head and off we go, into another

world of daydreams and memories. Any noise would distract us. I once

told one of my son's teachers that he says the classroom is noisy, to

which she responded "there is no talking in my classroom." I'm sure

she was right, but a sniffle or sneeze, a pencil dropping, a chair

shifting...all of these noises are very distracting when one is

working on something one doesn't really enjoy, when one is wired to

distraction.

I think a great start is to look up Giftedness vs. ADD on the

internet. They have very similar traits, and one can easily be

mistaken for the other.

But don't stop there, because knowing the difference between the two

that won't solve anything, and chances are, both are involved. They

seem to go together like puzzle pieces.

Also look into left and right brainedness. "Right Brained CHildren in

a Left Brained World" was very reassuring to me. It explains

different traits, and how to help right brained children "fit in".

I haven't read it yet, but there's a book called "teaching for the

two-sided mind." This makes me think I should pull that off the shelf

and dig in.

ALso, Dr. Mel Levine has a book out "A Mind at a time" that explains

how different we ALL are, and offers advise on how to help children

with certain difficulties.

And yes, you could read up on ADD, Asbergers, and Autism if you

aren't finding all the right answers. They are all believed to be

related, just different degrees of the same thing.

That's it for the books...now on to the nutrition. Man hasn't evolved

as quickly as the industrial revolution, and we aren't eating the way

our bodies were evolved to eat. Man evolved to eat wild game and

fish, and wild plants, all without polutants. For the past generation

or two, all we are eating is corn fed meat, corn syrup is in

everything we drink and all snack foods, and not enough fish. All we

are eating is corn, and it's not grown naturally. Yes, it's grown in

dirt, just like in the old days, but that dirt is fertilized with

chemicals, processed in a building somewhere else in the country, or

even the world. That corn is also fed and coated with pestisides. We

are starving ourselves and our brains, not matter how much we eat.

Omega 3 is one nutrient that is missing in everything we eat now,

that was in everything we ate a hundred or so years ago. It is

believed to be beneficial for our bodies and our brains. It's an anti-

inflamitory, and it is a necessary fat. Without it, our brains use

Omega 6 to coat the nerves, which is a harder fat, and impulses

bounce off of it, and the receptors in our brains that it coats,

leaving those impulses and thoughts bouncing around from one receptor

to another...like in a pinball machine! No wonder my brain used to be

so noisy!

I have found that Omega 3 is a Godsend for both my son and I. After a

month of taking flax seed oil, we both saw improvement (I didn't want

fish oil because of mercury, now it's easy to find "molecularly

distilled fish oil" which has contaminants removed, and is supposed

to be better for the brain, while flaxseed is better for the body). I

was able to do housework that I didn't want to do. I asked my son if

he saw any changes, and he replied nearly the same way...that he was

able to do schoolwork he didn't like, that a month ago he found

excruciating to work on, simply because it was boring. And after a

few months, the classroom seemed quieter. My head is no longer filled

with echoes of past conversations. And yes, Silence IS golden! I am

able to concentrate on conversations with little wandering, and am

able to remember a topic if someone else wanders. And yes, there were

times in the past that the world seemed "other worldly." Fortunately

I knew someone with Asbergers, and I could relate to him in many

ways...the tone of voice, the cadence or rythem of speech, some

manerisms, etc. It led me to ask about the relationship between ADD

and asbergers, and yes, they are related. Those feelings and

manerisms surface only rarely these days, in moments of very high

stress.

Also, you might want to look even deeper into diet: there are so many

additives in food these days. We are "preserving" ourselves every

time we eat.

Or just certain foods may trigger a reaction: For me, a milkshake

will send my mind spinning for a few hours. It must be the sugar or

something else in it, 'cause I'm fine with a glass of milk, though

dairy is supposed to cause problems in some. Chocolate makes my FIL

act crazy and angry. I knew someone who said her daughter couldn't

even wear a red dress because the red die in food and clothing made

her lose control of herself. When she quit the red die, her daughter

was fine. I've found the book "The raw food detox diet" is fairly

simple to read and not too hard to follow. Following that, or it's

rules of thumb, would quickly help you determine if diet is the

culprit of any problems. Then slowly add a few things here and there,

noting any reaction.

Sorry this was so long, but it's a very complicated subject. It's

taken me 7 years of nearly constant research to find out what I've

offered in the form of a simple letter. But keep in mind, research is

key. Modern medicine has helped my brother with his ADD, but it isn't

the answer for everyone, in fact, it has led to abuse with some

people. Medicine is still a "practice" because doctors are still

practicing. There's a lot of information out there. Most of it is

right. And all of what I've offered can be found in local grocery

stores. I never buy any of this stuff from the internet...ya gotta

know your source!

Good luck!

Frustrated Mom

I'm responding to multiple posts but not in order, (sorry about that!),

>>No TV, no computer, no games, no friends over, no going to friends, whatever he likes to do, he loses it--for a week--and spends the weekend in his room if need be. And it will take a week (the report from the teacher) before he has another chance to earn something. You cannot and must not take his word for anything (regarding this problem).<<

He doesn't get computer time unless its strictly for homework, no games, he could care less about not having any friends. The only thing that he would see as punishment is if I wouldn't allow him to Read.

>>If need be empty out his room of everything except the bare minimum--bed, nightstand, dresser. Everything!!! else goes! Allow him to earn them back with very high standards--and immediate loss for any sliding back.<<

We did that, and he went 3 months without any of his crap, his response, "Mom, thanks for cleaning my room".

>>There is nothing wrong with this boy but laziness (I know--I went through this in second grade with my son). Holding him back will do no good and I'd be surprised if the schools did it. My son still does not enjoy school (we homeschool now) but he does it because he has decided to bite the bullet and get it done.<<

That's pretty much how my husband feels.

>>You say you are sitting down every night and forcing him to do this homework. You are doing him no favor. You are doing the work for him and SAVING HIS BUTT FROM THE CONSEQUENCES. <<

He gets demerits in school when he fails to turn in his work, after 10 demerits, he earns an in-school detention, where, the Morons running the school stick him in a room, alone, with NOTHING but a Single book. Which, to this child, is Not a punishment. He would prefer to spend the day reading rather than , "listen to his teacher run her mouth all day about stuff he doesn't care about".

My husband and I sat him down and told him that he has to live here until he graduates from high school, whether he is 16 or 26.

>>You say you cannot motivate him. Motivation will have to come from within, when he learns that his choices (whether or not to do his school work) come with consequences.<<

He doesnt seem to mind the consequences, and I, in the meantime, am going OUT of my mind.

>>Well, my oldest is more ADD, without the hyperactivity. We joke that she's HYPOactive lol.<<

LOL, he's HYPO active all right, if it doesnt involve a book or videogame, he's not going to do it without a cattle prod.

>>But if you have moved somewhere that he is too far and too much trouble to get him involved in sports, that has him in a school where you can't push on his behalf without fear of getting kicked out (and where he's failing anyway I might add), where your work schedules and finances can't get him summer school etc. etc. etc. then a lot of the problem is coming from your home. You need to stop "considering" with moving and get the heck out of dodge like... yesterday. <<

Well, when we moved here, the school was located 6 houses away. Then, the fools decided to close the school and the nearest one was 5 miles away, then, they again decided to "consolidate to save money". So we put him in a different district that was only 5 miles away. in the opposite direction, The factory (the only source of work around for MILES) closed and so that district alsoconsolidated.

<SPAN class="015183517-30032007">Unfortunately, there aren't ANY private schools around and the public schools here are a joke, it's more like a sheep farm.

<SPAN class="015183517-30032007">
    Selling is all fine and good, but the average length of time for a house to sell in this area is 16-24 MONTHS. So we're looking at this nice long term problem of what to do with ds in the meantime.

I've had him tested for learning disabilities and they come back and say it's Just a bit of dyslexia & he's over the hurdle because he can read. I spent 7 years FIGHTING to get him diagnosed.<SPAN class="015183517-30032007">

Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate all your help. I will look into some of the options that have been offered on list!

FM

armstrca

<DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007">I do have to correct you and wanted to send a more neutral message. It doesn't lead to abuse in people who need the meds - only with people who don't need them.
    <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007">
    <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007">The meds affect mostADHD people by slowing them down or making them tired, instead of hyping them up (ADD are also labeled ADHD - just inattentive type (instead of passive)). With most (not all) ADHD kids, a super dose of caffeine makes them very tired, instead of bouncing off the walls.
    <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007">Somehow the stimulants slow down the relay of info to the brain on ADHD people.
    <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007">If you don't want to medicate, don't. But if you are iffy either way, check out the chadd site for information on meds, natural treatmentsand other helps for him (www.chadd.org).
    <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007">
    <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007">BTW - if you do decide to medicate (or not) any med or natural treatment is not a 'magic pill', it does need to be in conjunction with behavior modification (1-2-3- magic is a great book for younger kids on that and Love & Logic for the older kids (teens & tweens))

From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jane
    Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 9:02 AM
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: Budget101.com : My own experience with ADD, and some ideas that might help.<SPAN class="079422420-02042007">
    <SPAN class="079422420-02042007">
    Modern medicine has helped my brother with his ADD, but it isn't the answer for everyone, in fact, it has led to abuse with some people. Medicine is still a "practice" because doctors are still practicing. There's a lot of information out there.

April K

Just want to warn you that as with all sites CHAADA is personalfeelings and at times flat out lies. As with all other information especially online you really have to look at the source. Some of the doctors they quote are scientologists. I agree there are people who need medication and people who abuse it, as with everything else. Just a word of CAUTION.

armstrca <carmstr1@ems.jsc.nasa.gov> wrote: <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007">I do have to correct you
    and wanted to send a more neutral message. It doesn't lead to abuse in people who need the meds - only with people who don't need them. <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007"> <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007">The meds affect mostADHD people by slowing them down or making them tired, instead of hyping them up (ADD are also labeled ADHD - just inattentive type (instead of passive)). With most (not all) ADHD kids, a super dose of caffeine makes them very tired, instead of bouncing off the walls. <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007">Somehow the stimulants slow down the relay of info to the brain on ADHD people. <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007">If you don't want to medicate, don't. But if you are iffy either way, check out the chadd site for information on meds, natural treatmentsand other helps for him (www.chadd.org). <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007"> <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007">BTW - if you do decide to medicate (or not) any med or natural treatment is not a 'magic pill', it does need to be in conjunction with behavior modification (1-2-3- magic is a great book for younger kids on that and Love & Logic for the older kids (teens & tweens))
    From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jane
    Subject: Budget101.com : My own experience with ADD, and some ideas that might help.<SPAN class="079422420-02042007"> <SPAN class="079422420-02042007">
    Modern medicine has helped my brother with his ADD, but it isn't the answer for everyone, in fact, it has led to abuse with some people. Medicine is still a "practice" because doctors are still practicing. There's a lot of information out there.

&#32;
    Now that's room service! <a href="http://travel.yahoo.com/hotelsearchpage;_ylc=X3oDMTFtaTIzNXVjBF9TAzk3NDA3N Tg5BF9zAzI3MTk0ODEEcG9zAzIEc2VjA21haWx0YWdsaW5lBHN sawNxMS0wNw--
    ">Choose from over 150,000 hotels
    in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel</a> to find your fit.

Herlean

Thursday's Oprah is all about Autism. If anyone is interested. April 5, 2007.

April K <aprilkraus@yahoo.com> wrote: Just want to warn you that as with all sites CHAADA is personalfeelings and at times flat out lies. As with all other information especially online you really have to look at the source. Some of the doctors they quote are scientologists. I agree there are people who need medication and people who abuse it, as with everything else. Just a word of CAUTION.

armstrca <carmstr1@ems.jsc.nasa.gov> wrote: <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007">I do have to correct you and wanted to send
    a more neutral message. It doesn't lead to abuse in people who need the meds - only with people who don't need them. <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007"> <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007">The meds affect mostADHD people by slowing them down or making them tired, instead of hyping them up (ADD are also labeled ADHD - just inattentive type (instead of passive)). With most (not all) ADHD kids, a super dose of caffeine makes them very tired, instead of bouncing off the walls. <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007">Somehow the stimulants slow down the relay of info to the brain on ADHD people. <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007"><FONT face="Comic Sans
    MS" color="#008080">If you don't want to medicate, don't. But if you are iffy either way, check out the chadd site for information on meds, natural treatmentsand other helps for him (www.chadd.org). <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007"> <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="079422420-02042007">BTW - if you do decide to medicate (or not) any med or natural treatment is not a 'magic pill', it does need to be in conjunction with behavior modification (1-2-3- magic is a great book for younger kids on that and Love & Logic for the older kids (teens & tweens))
    Subject: Budget101.com : My own experience with ADD, and some ideas that might help.<SPAN class="079422420-02042007"> <SPAN class="079422420-02042007">
    Now that's room service! <A href="http://travel.yahoo.com/hotelsearchpage;_ylc=X3oDMTFtaTIzNXVjBF9TAzk3NDA3N Tg5BF9zAzI3MTk0ODEEcG9zAzIEc2VjA21haWx0YWdsaW5lBHN sawNxMS0wNw--">Choose from over 150,000 hotels
    in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel</A> to find your fit.

&#32;

Get your own web address.
    Have a HUGE year through <a href="
    http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49678/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/?p=BESTDEAL">Yahoo! Small Business.</a>