Downloads
    Uploads

Default HELP - cleaning mildew stains?

I have some cushion covers I have managed to save from the dump - these will fit a couch I have.

they are a brushed cream coloured denim type material, there is some mildew type staining .. Anyone know how to get rid of the black specks?

Ria

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Budget101.com : HELP - cleaning mildew stains?

Ria... those black specks could be signs of bed bug infestation! Especially if they are around the seams, in the piping or where the cushions rested against each other, & are individual small black dots, but crowded together.

There's a picture on this webpage ( http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/entfac ... /ef636.htm ) of the type of stains they leave behind. If I were you, I would get rid of those cushions as soon as possible!

I'm fighting bed bugs currently, & I can tell you that it is absolutely the worst type of infestation you can imagine!

dee

Downloads
    Uploads

this is definately mold - the cushions had been damp before I rescued them .. they are a good quality material IE: something that will hold up to animals and kids .. so thats why its worth the trouble to clean them

Ria

Downloads
    Uploads

Ria, if you can't get the stains out, could you dye the covers a dark color to cover the stains once the covers are cleaned? It seems a shame to toss them if you can't get the stain out....
    Lisa G.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would try Pine Sol that's what our plumber told us would kill mold. Then I'd leave it out in the sunshine for a few days.

Wendy