Thread: rice recipes

Ginny Thomas

Default rice recipes

<div style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;">Here are some things I make with rice:

I always make hamburger gravy and put it over rice.

Fried rice is good but remember that is made with cold cooked rice. Usually best the day after you made the rice.

Sometimes I substitute chicken broth for the water which gives the rice a nice flavor.

Rice pudding.

A recipe from my childhood istake day old rice and mix in canned pineapple, bananas and whipped cream. You can add coconut and mini marshmallows. This is a great dessert or can be used as a side dish for BBQ orfor Easter.

Spanish rice

Stuffed bell peppers

Ham and rice casserole

I actually use the ham and rice casserole leftovers and add hamburger and tomato soup to stuff peppers and top with cheese.

Use with beans to make burritos.

Chicken and rice casserole

Some of these do double duty. If I can't find a ham on saleI will use a ham steak. Here is an example of what I do with a ham. (Alway buy the butt not the shank as it has more flavor.) First meal I will just serve baked ham. Then I will use some of it for ham and cheese omelets. Some of the ham will go to ham and rice casserole with the leftover used forstuffed bell peppers. Scalloped potatoes with ham. Grilled ham and cheese sandwiches and with the bone and rest of the scraps I make split pea soup or bean soup.

Leftover are always good for lunch, providing no one minds leftovers.

Let me know if you want any of the recipes and I will post.

Ginny

The Victors

Default rice recipes

<font size="4" color="blue" face="Missy BT">14.0pt;font-family:"Missy BT";color:blue;font-weight:bold;font-style:italic;">Thanks to everyone for the rice recipes and resources to
    find more. We are really trying to stretch our food budget, and this will help
    tremendously. I am getting my bread machines down and dusting them off today
    and plan on starting 2 loaves of bread. For now, I bought the bread machine
    yeast in the jar from the store, but as I start to bake regularly, I will be
    looking for a cheaper way of purchasing it. I have started saving all my glass
    food jars for storage, so hopefully I will find a good place to buy the yeast
    in bulk.

<font size="4" color="blue" face="Missy BT">14.0pt;font-family:"Missy BT";color:blue;font-weight:bold;font-style:italic;">
    <font size="4" color="blue" face="Missy BT">14.0pt;font-family:"Missy BT";color:blue;font-weight:bold;font-style:italic;">Thanks again!
    <font size="4" color="blue" face="Missy BT">14.0pt;font-family:"Missy BT";color:blue;font-weight:bold;font-style:italic;">
    <font size="5" color="blue" face="NokieBrushHMK">16.0pt;font-family:NokieBrushHMK;color:blue;">Melissa V.
    <font size="4" color="blue" face="NokieBrushHMK">13.5pt;font-family:NokieBrushHMK;color:blue;"><font face="NokieBrushHMK"><span style="font-family:NokieBrushHMK;font-weight:normal;">
    <font size="4" color="blue" face="NokieBrushHMK">13.5pt;font-family:NokieBrushHMK;color:blue;font-weight:normal;">
    <font size="4" color="blue" face="NokieBrushHMK">14.0pt;font-family:NokieBrushHMK;color:blue;">The LORD replied:
    <font size="4" color="blue" face="NokieBrushHMK">14.0pt;font-family:NokieBrushHMK;color:blue;">"My son, my
    precious child,
    <font size="4" color="blue" face="NokieBrushHMK">14.0pt;font-family:NokieBrushHMK;color:blue;font-weight:bold;">

<font face="NokieBrushHMK"><span style="font-family:NokieBrushHMK;">I
    love you and I would never leave you.

<font face="NokieBrushHMK"><span style="font-family:NokieBrushHMK;">During
    your times of trial and suffering,

<font face="NokieBrushHMK"><span style="font-family:NokieBrushHMK;">when
    you see only one set of footprints,

<font face="NokieBrushHMK"><span style="font-family:NokieBrushHMK;">it
    was then that I carried you."
    <font size="4" face="NokieBrushHMK">14.0pt;font-family:NokieBrushHMK;">

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.5.485 / Virus Database: 269.13.13/998 - Release Date: 9/10/2007 8:48 AM

armstrca

Default rice recipes

<DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="133553913-12092007">You can buy the regular yeast. It will work just as well. I got a couple of 1 (or 2.5 lb) lb bags (yep! they are big!) from Sam's a couple of years ago. I am still working my way through the 1st bag (and yes- it is still good - I store it in my fridge). The other is in my deep freeze.
    <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="133553913-12092007">You can also use reg (all-purpose) flour. Add a bit of vital wheat gluten (you can buy a box of it at a health food store) to increase the gluten in the bread mix - like the commercial does. To get your costs down further.
    <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="133553913-12092007">

From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of The Victors
    Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 10:03 AM
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: Budget101.com : rice recipes<SPAN class="133553913-12092007">
    <SPAN class="133553913-12092007">
    <SPAN class="133553913-12092007"><FONT face="Times New Roman" color="#0000ff" size="5">I am getting my bread machines down and dusting them off today and plan on starting 2 loaves of bread. For now, I bought the bread machine yeast in the jar from the store, but as I start to bake regularly, I will be looking for a cheaper way of purchasing it, hopefully I will find a good place to buy the yeast in bulk.