Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 16

Thread: Catch 22

  1. #1
    pseuzanne
    Guest

    Default Catch 22

    As I've posted before, I'm a newly single mom with a toddler. We are

    living with my folks for awhile, but I'm trying to figure out how I

    can afford a decent place to live on our own. I was excited to find

    out about a new housing development in my parents town - 16

    townhouses, 4 of which are designated as affordable housing. The

    school system is very good, it would be 5 minutes from my parents,

    and mixed in with "regular" housing, so my daughter wouldn't have

    the stigma of living on "the wrong side of the tracks". I was very

    disheartened to learn about the maximum allowable income in order to

    qualify. Besides the fact that I will earn more than the maximum

    between a job and child support, I don't see how anyone could afford

    the mortgage on that income. I crunched the numbers over and over,

    deleting everything from my budget that wasn't necessary for basic

    survival, and it just didn't add up. Who are these affordable

    housing units for? The bank won't give you the mortgage if your

    income isn't sufficient, but if your income is sufficient to support

    the mortgage then you don't qualify for affordable housing.



    Has anyone else run into this? Any words of wisdom?



    Suzanne



    P.S. This is in Massachusetts.








  2. #2
    Herlean
    Guest

    Default Catch 22

    We ran into that problem when my husband went on unemployment. We made "too much money" to get assistance from the state or county for our baby, but "not enough money" to make it over the hump. Paycheck to paycheck would have been a real step up. Borrowing from people was not an option. We did get a few things from Freecycle, but it really sucks that we fall "between the cracks". If I would just quit my job, we could officially live in our 10 year old van and be homeless, then we could get help!!!!! However, as long as we can somehow struggle through, oh well, tough.

    The system needs a lot of help. It should help people who are truly in dire straits, even for a few months.

    "Too much money????" Frustrating. I would love to invite them over to see the lap of luxury that we are living in. (Smell that sarcasm????)

    Herlean

    pseuzanne <pseuzanne@yahoo.com> wrote: As I've posted before, I'm a newly single mom with a toddler. We are
    living with my folks for awhile, but I'm trying to figure out how I
    can afford a decent place to live on our own. I was excited to find
    out about a new housing development in my parents town - 16
    townhouses, 4 of which are designated as affordable housing. The
    school system is very good, it would be 5 minutes from my parents,
    and mixed in with "regular" housing, so my daughter wouldn't have
    the stigma of living on "the wrong side of the tracks". I was very
    disheartened to learn about the maximum allowable income in order to
    qualify. Besides the fact that I will earn more than the maximum
    between a job and child support, I don't see how anyone could afford
    the mortgage on that income. I crunched the numbers over and over,
    deleting everything from my budget
    that wasn't necessary for basic
    survival, and it just didn't add up. Who are these affordable
    housing units for? The bank won't give you the mortgage if your
    income isn't sufficient, but if your income is sufficient to support
    the mortgage then you don't qualify for affordable housing.

    Has anyone else run into this? Any words of wisdom?

    Suzanne

    P.S. This is in Massachusetts.



    I've earned 2 so far, you can Earn FREE $25 Gift Cards:
    .

    \|||/
    (o o)
    ----ooO-(_)-Ooo--------

    For free instant access to daily freebies, cookie & cache cleaner, Free Virus Scan Radio with programable stations, weather, instant chat and more download our free toolbar http://www.budget101.com/Toolbar.htm

    To View the List Archives Please Visit http://www.budget101.com/forum.php

    Yahoo! Groups Links

    <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Budget101_/

    <*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Budget101_/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

    <*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:Budget101_-digest@yahoogroups.com
    mailto:Budget101_-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

    <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    Budget101_-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

    <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    [/quote]


    &#32;
    Need Mail bonding?
    Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A for great tips from Yahoo! Answers users.


  3. #3
    fivefeathersranch
    Guest

    Default Catch 22

    --- In Budget101_@yahoogroups.com, Herlean <wm_jun99@...> wrote:

    >

    > We ran into that problem when my husband went on unemployment. We

    made "too much money" to get assistance from the state or county for

    our baby, but "not enough money" to make it over the hump. Paycheck

    to paycheck would have been a real step up. Borrowing from people

    was not an option. We did get a few things from Freecycle, but it

    really sucks that we fall "between the cracks". If I would just

    quit my job, we could officially live in our 10 year old van and be

    homeless, then we could get help!!!!! However, as long as we can

    somehow struggle through, oh well, tough.

    >

    > The system needs a lot of help. It should help people who are

    truly in dire straits, even for a few months.

    >

    > "Too much money????" Frustrating. I would love to invite them

    over to see the lap of luxury that we are living in. (Smell that

    sarcasm????)

    > > Herlean



    Three days after my twin daughters were born, my husband lost his

    job. The twins stayed in the hospital until they were a month old.

    We received WIC during that time. When the girls were 4 months old,

    I found out I was pregnant again. When the third daughter was born,

    WIC recertified us. My husband had found a job at that time.

    The "system" said we didn't qualify, because we made enough

    for "7" . My husband said, "7 what?". That was 17 years ago, but I

    guess things don't change.












  4. #4
    Chris Campbell
    Guest

    Default Catch 22

    we are in the same situation i get paid 110 per week and husband works 40 hours with maybe 8-10 hours of ot but not a usual thing and they said we don't qualify for any assistance but wic says we do I am happy that we do due to teh cost of his formula which is like 25 for a 16 ounce can of powder which last about a week. he is on allementum i think that's how it's spelled.

    &#32;

    Don't get soaked. Take a<a href="
    http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/?fr=oni_on_mail&#news"> quick peak at the forecast </a>
    with the<a href="
    http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/?fr=oni_on_mail&#news">Yahoo! Search weather shortcut.</a>


  5. #5
    dlawn@comcast.net
    Guest

    Default Catch 22

    My now 13 y/o daughter was on that formula when she was just turning a year old

    because she had some type of virus that was wiping out all of her good bacteria.

    I remember even back then it was about $13 for a tall can of it. And I remember

    the smell was horrendous and it stained her clothes terribly lol. My husband

    was laid off of work the very week she was put on that and we qualified for WIC

    for a month before he went back to work. What luck that it happened to be that

    month. I got a case of it and only ended up using maybe 6 cans before she was

    better. I donated the remainder to a battered women and children's shelter

    nearby.



    Donna NJ



    -------------- Original message ----------------------

    From: Chris Campbell <pingpong1999@yahoo.com>

    > we are in the same situation i get paid 110 per week and husband works 40

    hours

    > with maybe 8-10 hours of ot but not a usual thing and they said we don't

    qualify

    > for any assistance but wic says we do I am happy that we do due to teh cost of

    > his formula which is like 25 for a 16 ounce can of powder which last about a

    > week. he is on allementum i think that's how it's spelled.

    >

    >

    >

    > ---------------------------------

    > Don't get soaked. Take a quick peak at the forecast

    with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.






  6. #6
    Vickie
    Guest

    Default Catch 22

    That's the American way!!! My husband had an accident back in 2005 & was on his back for several months. The hospital & doctors bills were out of this world, even after insurance had paid. We tried to get help from the hospital but we made too much money. We are still paying the bill after almost 2 years. A few years back my brother worked for a major airline & got hurt on the job. He hadto have a double hip replacement, went on SSI. He would have gotten more money per month if his wife wasn't working, she couldn't afford to leave her job since he would only be getting SSI for a short time. Something is wrong with the system.....

    fivefeathersranch <fivefeathersranch@yahoo.com> wrote: --- In Budget101_@yahoogroups.com, Herlean <wm_jun99@...> wrote:
    >
    > We ran into that problem when my husband went on unemployment. We
    made "too much money" to get assistance from the state or county for
    our baby, but "not enough money" to make it over the hump. Paycheck
    to paycheck would have been a real step up. Borrowing from people
    was not an option. We did get a few things from Freecycle, but it
    really sucks that we fall "between the cracks". If I would just
    quit my job, we could officially live in our 10 year old van and be
    homeless, then we could get help!!!!! However, as long as we can
    somehow struggle
    through, oh well, tough.
    >
    > The system needs a lot of help. It should help people who are
    truly in dire straits, even for a few months.
    >
    > "Too much money????" Frustrating. I would love to invite them
    over to see the lap of luxury that we are living in. (Smell that
    sarcasm????)
    > > Herlean

    Three days after my twin daughters were born, my husband lost his
    job. The twins stayed in the hospital until they were a month old.
    We received WIC during that time. When the girls were 4 months old,
    I found out I was pregnant again. When the third daughter was born,
    WIC recertified us. My husband had found a job at that time.
    The "system" said we didn't qualify, because we made enough
    for "7" . My husband said, "7 what?". That was 17 years ago, but I
    guess things don't change.




    &#32;
    Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.


  7. #7
    Ria
    Guest

    Default Catch 22

    That's great that you can get that formula on WIC.

    That stuff is expensive! My daughter was on

    Nutramigen which is the equivalent. I wished I was

    able to breastfeed. I did in the beginning and pumped

    too...but she ended up with colic and reflux and we

    had to switch to the hypoallergenic, pre-digested

    formula. Total sticker shock!





    --- Chris Campbell <pingpong1999@yahoo.com> wrote:



    > we are in the same situation i get paid 110 per week

    > and husband works 40 hours with maybe 8-10 hours of

    > ot but not a usual thing and they said we don't

    > qualify for any assistance but wic says we do I am

    > happy that we do due to teh cost of his formula

    > which is like 25 for a 16 ounce can of powder which

    > last about a week. he is on allementum i think

    > that's how it's spelled.

    >

    >

    >

    > ---------------------------------

    > Don't get soaked. Take a quick peak at the forecast

    >

    > with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.









    __________________________________________________ ______________________________\

    ____

    Don't pick lemons.

    See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.

    http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html






  8. #8
    Vickie
    Guest

    Default Catch 22

    You don't have to be in a certain income brackets to qualify for WIC. My youngest daughter was on WIC only because she was anemic. I had taken her toget her shots & she was given a blood test, before that I never knew about WIC.

    Chris Campbell <pingpong1999@yahoo.com> wrote: we are in the same situation i get paid 110 per week and husband works 40 hours with maybe 8-10 hours of ot but not a usual thing and they said we don't qualify for any assistance but wic says we do I am happy that we do due to teh cost of
    his formula which is like 25 for a 16 ounce can of powder which last about a week. he is on allementum i think that's how it's spelled. Don't get soaked. Take a quick peak at the forecast
    with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.


    &#32;

    Don't get soaked. Take a<a href="
    http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/?fr=oni_on_mail&#news"> quick peak at the forecast </a>
    with the<a href="
    http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/?fr=oni_on_mail&#news">Yahoo! Search weather shortcut.</a>


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •