My easy cornbread recipe handed down from my mother. I thought it was her original concoction until she showed me it was almost verbatim from the Aunt Jemima corn meal package!!

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg
2 Tbsp sugar (or more if you like it sweeter)
Combine the dry ingredients. Mix in egg and a bit of milk. Now add milk until the mix look a bit soupy, but not too thin. (Practice makes perfect).

Now, I personally use a med. iron skillet to bake my cornbread, but you can use a baking pan. If you use a baking pan, add a bit of oil to the cornbread mix and pour into a greased med baking dish. Bake at 350 about 20 min til golden brown and knife to center of cornbread comes out clean. Slice each piece thru the middle and serve with lots of butter.

OR...My preference and makes a really crispy crust on your cornbread...
Heat your iron skillet on top of the stove with about 1/4 cup of oil in it. When oil is good and hot (but not smoking) pour oil into batter and stir it in. Scatter a bit of cornmeal into the bottom of the skillet. Now, immediately pour in the batter and place skillet in the 350 degree over and bake til golden brown (edges will come away from the sides) and broomstraw-or knife comes out clean. Let cool a bit and then carefully turn out onto a plate. cut into slices, then slice thru the middle of each midwise(is that a word) and put a generous piece of butter in the center of each. Serve piping hot.

Layering..... crumble left over cornbread into a glass with sweet milk or buttermilk.

Layering... make a nice stuffing mix with leftover cornbread.