Thread: Vacation Ideas

dmh1997@aol.com

Default Vacation Ideas

I have some saivngs ideas for vacation, but of course none as fun as the jar
    concept!!! What great motivation on those "way too tired evenings" Cute and
    how fun
    Here is some of what we do
    Research Research Research, first spend the least amount possible on the
    vacation and then it will be much easier to save for it.
    We set up a vacation club account in the bank and put x dollars into it with
    every check. It is a nice emergency fund even if you do not go on vacation.
    Good luck
    Mandi

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Linda Bossle

Default Vacation ideas

Hi. We are a homeschooling family and my children spent last year studying American History. What a wonderful experience! My children would LOVE to see some of the historical sights of what they spent all year learning about. Of course, just like everyone else, money is very tight so I thought it might be fun to do a camping trip. We live in Coral Springs, Florida which is on the eastern seaboard. I am hoping that I can pick your brains for information or resources on how to plan a camping trip in September or October to some of the American History sights - North Carolina and Virginia, probably. I know if we drive to Virginia we can see Monticello, Jamestown, Williamsburg, and Washington DC. I heard that Williamsburg has certain homeschool days, does anyone know about that? Anyways, I would really
    appreciate any advice on campgrounds, historical sights, discounts, "Don't miss" spots. Thank you so much.

lisa griffeth

Default Vacation ideas

This isn't what you were exactly looking for but if it happens to beon your way up to other attractions, you might want to check out Warm Springs GA which is home of the Warm Springs treatment center where Franklin Roosevelt came for polio "treatments". Roosevelt liked the area so much he built a "Little White House" that is open for public tours (fee is nominal) and thereare some camping/cabin areasnear by that were built by the <SPAN>CCC while Roosevelt was in office. The Little White house has a display of Roosevelt's personal articles, the house is open for tours and they also have his car with hand controls that he used to tour the country side. Near that same area is Pine Mountain GA which hasone end of the Appalachian Trail that runs up the Eastern Side of the US...all the way to Maine. There is a place in Pine Mountain
    called Callaway Gardens that has some exhibits : anold log farm house, movie on how the land was stripped of minerals by over farming and how the current gardens were planted and how the practice ofcrop rotation was put into place, and a lovely butterfly house you can walk through and see butterflies hatch/fly/reproduce. All of these places can be checked out on google and you can plan your trip accordingly if they interest you and your family.

<SPAN>HTH

LIsa G.

Barb

Default Vacation ideas

If you are coming through VA, check out Civil War History sites.

There's some battlefields, etc here. I live in Harrisonburg,

VA..about an hour from Monticello and Montpelier, and about 2 hrs

from DC. Charlottesville, VA has a few campgrounds, near those 2

places. Mt. Vernon near DC is a great place to visit. Consider the

Smithsonian, it's all free and wonderful museums! Search the

websites, ask for phamplets to be mailed to you. I know most history

places do have homeschool activities, ask for info when you ask for

phamplets online. All are geared with govt/public school SOL's in

mind, so you know they are kid-educate oriented. Also, for a low

cost camping check out Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive, all govt

forests. I've found some cheaper camping there plus some spots have

what I call "Ranger Rick" programs for children. Sept would be a

lovely time to visit these areas and camp. I would suggest reserving

spots now for Fall, many people come to see the foliage at that time

of year, so campground get booked early. Blue Ridge Parkway starts

in Cherokee, NC (I believe) and ends at Afton, VA, where the Skyline

Drive begins, Skyline ends in Front Royal, VA. There is no fee for

Blue Ridge but a fee for the Skyline. Also, check out state parks

they usually have cheaper camping fees. Check out the hiking trails

on the parkways, they have some nice ones with waterfalls, etc.

Williamsburg Ole Town is great! Plan your trip, you can't possibly

do it all there in one day! We usually do at least a 2 day tour.

Cheaper eats and drinks>> backpack your lunch for the day in

Williamsburg, just as if you were going to an amusement park kinda

deal. Outdoor garb needed, it's mostly outside with in-and-out of

buildings. Very lovely done area! Very educational happenings.

Goggle it and ask for an info pack now to plan your trip.

Monticello is a must see! I love Monticello! Research Jefferson's

agriculture influences before you come. You and the children will

appreciate the grounds/gardens more if you have studied Jefferson's

knowledge of plants. Visit your library this summer on books of

places you want to go. Travel books are available for almost

anywhere. Again, I'm, in central Va and my husband travels to

Charlottesville once a week on business, so let me know if I can help

you further as a "native".

Natural Bridge is a great place for kids. Hiking trail has an Indian

village, again pack lunch and cool drinks, and dress for hiking.

Camping nearby. Personal option>> Wax Museum is nice, but skip the

zoo there and hit DC's zoo instead.

Don't forget Va's caverns, they are pretty fun to tour.

Here's a few sites to get ya brainstorming:

http://www.civilwar-va.com/EAST/VA/index.html

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org

http://www.nps.gov/blri (Parkway/Skyline)

http://www.nps.gov/shen/ (Parkway/Skyline)

http://www.blueridgeskyline.com/

http://www.history.org/ (Williamsburg)

http://www.historyisfun.org/ (Jamestown)

http://marg.mhost.com/vahistory.html

http://www.naturalbridgeva.com/bridge.html

Christina Coyle

Default Vacation ideas

11.0pt;color:#1F497D;">Don’t miss South Carolina!!! What kind of “history”
    are you thinking of? The town I live in is Manning, SC. The city hall right
    across the street from my work was where Brown Vs. Board Of Education was
    started. If you’re going right up 95, its exit 119. Also, if you want to
    take a little side jaunt, Charleston is about 45 minutes south on 26, it crosses
    95 about 30 miles up the road from me. Walking the battery is AMAZING. You can
    also see Fort Sumter from the battery, or take a trip out there by ferry. Charleston
    is rich with history, as the start of the civil war, we spent a day at Charles
    Town, the original settled colony. I just LOVE Charleston!
    11.0pt;color:#1F497D;">

11.0pt;color:#1F497D;">Christina Coyle
    11.0pt;color:#1F497D;">Jackson Hewitt Tax Service
    11.0pt;color:#1F497D;">Area Manager of Andrews and Manning, SC
    11.0pt;color:#1F497D;">Andrews: 843-264-5777
    11.0pt;color:#1F497D;">Manning: 803-433-5777
    11.0pt;color:#1F497D;">Cell: 803-565-0178

<div style="border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;">
    10.0pt;">From:10.0pt;">
    Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Linda
    Bossle

Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:43 PM

To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com

Subject: Budget101.com : Vacation ideas

<table class="MsoNormalTable" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

Hi. We are a homeschooling family and my children
    spent last year studying American History. What a wonderful
    experience! My children would LOVE to see some of the historical sights
    of what they spent all year learning about. Of course, just like
    everyone else, money is very tight so I thought it might be fun to do a
    camping trip. We live in Coral Springs, Florida which is on the eastern
    seaboard. I am hoping that I can pick your brains for information or
    resources on how to plan a camping trip in September or October to some of
    the American History sights - North Carolina and Virginia, probably. I
    know if we drive to Virginia we can see Monticello, Jamestown, Williamsburg,
    and Washington DC. I heard that Williamsburg has certain homeschool
    days, does anyone know about that? Anyways, I would really appreciate
    any advice on campgrounds, historical sights, discounts, "Don't
    miss" spots. Thank you so much.

<span style="color:

Dawn Rhodes

Default Vacation ideas

Here are a few budget ideas for vacationing. HOpe these help someone.

I would suggest getting AAA before leaving on vacation! We did this year and we have already saved more than the membership cost and we got the plus membership! You get all kinds of FREE brochures, maps, literature on the areas you are going to see. There are MANY things to do that are FREE! When I started reading the books I was amazed at all of the FREE museums, tours, etc!!

As a matter of fact, my family is on vacation now. We live in western NC. We have been wanting to take a road trip west. We talked about how could we afford it with the prices going up like they are. Then I kept thinking about hearing my parents talking about wanting to go west all of my life. Both of them passed away, neither of them ever got to go where they wanted. I didn't want that for my child. I wanted to share this experience with him. So, first I put a yard sale together.

This was a smaller yard sale than what I normally have, but I still made $600. My husband did some extra work on the side which was like $550. So we had $1150 to start our trip with. Then came AAA. Cost around $80 but like I said, we have already saved more $$ than the membership cost. A couple of weeks before we left our son, 10 years old, was given chores to earn "vending machine money". We all remember as children loving the vending machines. He has a bag of vending machine money, when it is gone, there is no more vending.

We decided to take 13 days to go to Branson, MO., Oklahoma City, OK., Lawton OK, Nacogdoches TX (this is where we are now), we will drive on through Little Rock, Arkansas on our way back home to NC. So, how are we doing this kind of trip? We used the trip as a challenge. Go on a long extended vacation trying to spend the least possible. (not that we couldn't buy something we wanted. but to let the "challenge" help to keep us on track with spending)

1. We decided we would eat out only once a day, IF we ate out once everyday. That meal would be a late lunch, and try to go to a restaurant with a buffet. Use coupons if possible. Lunch is always cheaper than dinner. Most hotels provide breakfast, a lot of choices too. So, at breakfast we would take a piece of fruit with us. (bananas are great as a snack or to make Peanut Butter / banana sandwiches. hubby loves them) Then for dinner, we would eat in the room. We have ate sandwiches, leftovers from lunch, frozen healthy choice meals, etc. You really can get creative when you have a microwave.

2. I bought a midsize cooler from Target for $13. Which as more than paid for itself. We took drinks / water with us from home. Some snacks. I froze the water bottles and used that as ice. ( keeps things cold longer and saves money on buying ice) When it is time to buy food, try to find a Wal-mart Superstore. Their prices are almost always cheaper than local chains, or an Aldi. Stop and have a picnic.

3. Everyone remember the Time Share Cons a few years ago? Come with us for 90 minutes and you get tickets? Yeah the 90 minutes turned into hoursssssss!! Well when we were in Branson we got asked to listen to a vacation presentation. It isn't a time share, and they DO keep it to 90 minutes total! We got $75 cash for one and $100 for another. HELLO that is my kind of bargain vacation! So check into these things if you are out / about on vacation. We gave up 3 hours but got $175! Now most of them have a room for the kids to play and watch movies.

4. There are lots of coupons for buy one get one free things. My hubby/son played mini golf for like $6.00. So look through those books!

5. We have went through several museums for FREE or for very little money. We did the river taxi in OKC for $21. One museum was by donations. We have had a blast seeing these things instead of doing the theme parks. We did go to one water park in OKC, again used a coupon and saved $30! We have seen Scott Mountain, the refugee park, the holy city, Chisolm trail heritage center, "rode the ducks" and saw the Ozarksin Branson, played mini golf. Tomorrow we are touring Nacogdoches, the oldest town in TX. There is one tour that is $5.00 for all three of us. The others are free. Then we are driving 30 minutes to Lufkin to go to their small zoo. $14 for all 3 of us! I found all of these places in the books from AAA.

Our vacation is almost over. WE are WELL under what we thought it would cost. We have done a lot more than we thought we could do. So GREAT vacations can happen. HOpe this helps someone!

DawnRhodes Email:justascrapin@hotmail.com

<hr>The other season of giving begins 6/24/08. Check out the iím Talkathon. Check it out!