Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Housing Costs

Sussi

Default Housing Costs

What % of your total "NET" income goes for housing?
    Renting or buying and location.

Sussi

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Michelle

Default Re: Housing Costs

Kathy wrote:
    "That is so right! The last time my husband looked at rates the calculator
    said we could afford a home of $180,000. My jaw dropped! We could not
    possibly afford to do that and expect to put healthy food on the table."

Kathy, at least you (and many others) are able to realize that just because
    someone says we can afford it does not mean that it is actually "doable".
    Too many people get themselves into a huge house payment and then can't keep
    up the house -- literally.

My grandmother and I were just talking about this subject this morning. I'm
    watching some of my neighbors move into these houses and then the house
    starts needing repairs and they can't afford them. What was a great
    investment turns into a falling apart house that can't get the re-sale value
    because the homeowners can't "actually" afford the house to begin with! It
    is a vicious cycle!

What upsets me the most is watching young adults, with no homeowning
    experience, qualify for the huge mortgages, get themselves into a house, and
    only then realize what a HUGE responsibility it is to own a home. It is sad
    that we don't have more classes or mentors for first time homeowners!!

guess I got to rambling here -- sorry!!

Michelle in DE

kc7ttm@webtv.net

Default Re: Housing Costs

Well, housing costs here is about 36% of our net, and if you include
    utilities it jumps to about 43% of our net income. We live in
    Washington state

Carole Scandrol

Default Housing Costs

I worked the graveyard shift for four years whn our kids were little, and hubby put them to bed. I worked 9PM to 5AM 5 days a week. It's much betterthan paying a babysitter, but I must tell you, you have no idea what TIRED isuntil you've done that for a while! I got home at 6AM, changed clothes and had to get the kids up for school. The older one (age 7) caught the school bus, but I then had to drive the younger one (age 5) to pre kindergarden. It was only 1/2 a day, so by the time I got back home, I got all of an hour and a half sleep before I had to go pick him up. I felt fine, but if we went to a movie, I simply couldn't keep my eyes open. I mean COULDN'T! I actually would try to hold my eyelids open with my fingers, but the darkness in the theater was just too much! I even fell asleep at a traffic light on the way home from work a few mornings.

Working the graveyard shift works greatfrom the $$ side, but it's very difficult to manage on 3 to 4 hours sleep a night!

Carole

Herlean

Default Housing Costs

I did some of that in college. You're right. It's a tough shift, plus studying and driving. Money was good for a person putting herself through school. Herlean

Carole Scandrol <napi21@charter.net> wrote: I worked the graveyard shift for four years whn our kids were little, and hubby put them to bed. I worked 9PM to 5AM 5 days a week. It's much betterthan paying a babysitter, but I must tell you, you have no idea what TIRED isuntil you've done that for a while! I got home at 6AM, changed clothes and had to get the kids up for school. The older one (age 7) caught the school bus, but I then had to drive the younger one (age 5) to pre kindergarden. It was only
    1/2 a day, so by the time I got back home, I got all of an hour and a half sleep before I had to go pick him up. I felt fine, but if we went to a movie, I simply couldn't keep my eyes open. I mean COULDN'T! I actually would try to hold my eyelids open with my fingers, but the darkness in the theater was just too much! I even fell asleep at a traffic light on the way home from work a few mornings. Working the graveyard shift works greatfrom the $$ side, but it's very difficult to manage on 3 to 4 hours sleep a night! Carole

&#32;
    Be a PS3 game guru.
    Get your game face on with the latest PS3 news and previews at Yahoo! Games.

Jaimie Hering

Default Housing Costs

I read about all of your housing costs and have no idea how you all make it. I live in Wisconsin and our morgage is $232.00 a month, gas is approx. 100.00 a month and so is the electric. I am a stay at home mom and my husband works at a glass plant. We live in a rural area just north of a tourist city. There is no way we could afford to live elsewhere. Renting a home ( 2 bed. 1 bath) in this area is right around 350-400 with everything included. My neice lives in a city - Rockford, Ill. and pays over $1000.00 a month for a one bedroom apartment plus everything else....and she just barely makes it. I have told her over and over...if you cant afford to live there, then there are places where you can live pretty cheap, just not in the city. And trust me, its hard to make it on one income even where we live! *smiles* I give you all credit because if we
    didnt have such cheap resources here then we would never make it, we live paycheck to paycheck most times.

&#32;
    Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?
    Check out

~trina~

Default Housing Costs

Then don’t move to S. CA or NY.(main city)

Average home in LA can cost 400,000 +

Remember ,costs of living and wages are
    different too, depending on area

I have never known rent to be that low, unless
    I was like 7yrs old

Otherwise, 2bdroom to rent can be $
    1,400.00 –that’s how much it was when we moved and that was an
    apartment!!

-my bro in law just moved and he was happy
    to find a 4bdrm to rent for $1600.00 in a Cruddy area(gangs and schools aren’t
    soo good)

I wouldn’t live there at all.—he
    was better off in the mobile home he was at.

Anyhow, $$ can be dependent om many
    factors.

~trina~

-----Original Message-----

Catherine Cushing

Default Housing Costs

I'm including N. CA to your list of "don't move" areas. We lived 20 min N of SF in Pleasant Hill renting a 3 bdrm, 1 bath, no central heat and no AC, 55 y/o home for $1450. I was making $22/hr as a transcriptionist and my DH was at $15/hr with Great Clips. But with $800/month on childcare, almost $400/month auto insurance...and the "dot-com crash" (I had finished an AA in Graphic design and he finished an BA in the same, we escaped to my home town of San Antonio Texas. Today, 5 years later, we are renting a 2 y/o 2 story 3/2/2 corner lot with central everything for $950, paying $150 for afterschool care, $133 for the same 2 vehicles, and I'm making $18/hr as a transcriptionist and my DH is now in a graphic design position at $14/hr (he was making about $18/hr as a PT barber). Location, Location, Location BTW, my parents purchased their 30 year old 2 story 4/2.5/2 approx 1800sq
    ft home for $64,000 and they own a $550/month 2/1/2 townhome (mortgage on rental $300/month). Do your research!!! Catherine

&#32;
    Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?
    Check out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast