Response to Back to School Shopping Article

Response to Back to School Shopping Article

I was disappointed in this article - there is a link to it on the home page. From what I have seen from the other families that use Budget101, we are looking for more frugal advice than "buy the stain resistant clothes from Gap and Old Navy." I'm sure their products are great, but I don't have

back to school, bring, children, color, faded, getting old, great, hank, hat, hem, hey, ideas, jeans, life, mom, purchased, sharing, thank you, vinegar, wash, clothes, year, school, back, store, time, pants, kids, helps, make, thrift, shop, childrens, shoes, clothing, sale, closet, article, shopping, families, summer, swap, link, free, home, disappointed, church, give, budget, buying

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Response to Back to School Shopping Article

I was disappointed in this article - there is a link to it on the home page. From what I have seen from the other families that use Budget101, we are looking for more frugal advice than "buy the stain resistant clothes from Gap and Old Navy." I'm sure their products are great, but I don't have $500 per child to spend for back to school clothes.

For those who are like me, here are my suggestions:

1) Skip the back to school mega-shopping trip all together. I live in the South and my children went back to school in their summer clothes. Rather than dumping a bunch of money at one time, I will add long pants and shirts gradually as the weather gets cooler. Adding a few pieces at a time also helps kids (especially girls) not get bored with their clothes.

2) By new shoes and clothes off season - I bought my children's new tennis shoes for this year on sale over the summer and put them up in the closet.

3) When you are shopping at the consignment and thrift stores, buy ahead for the next year. I keep plastic tubs in my closet to store clothes for the next year. That way my expenses spread out over the whole year. Also, this helps me not get in a "must have" situation where I am forced to go to the store and buy new. For ex, my son is slim and I like the pants that have the adjustable waist. I keep my eye out for them everytime I shop at the thrift store/yard sale. That way when the winter rolls around I may only have to buy 2 new pairs of pants rather than 6 or 7. NOTE: if your older children balk at buying used clothing, give them a clothing budget. They will soon see that they can get 10 outfits at the thrift/consignment store for $50 vs. one at the mall.

4) Get with the other families at your church or neighborhood about having a clothes swap - everyone can bring their children's old clothes and everything is free - just take what you want.

5) Have your children try on their clothes from last year - especially jeans - to see what they can still wear. I was surprised to find that my 9 yo has about 4 pair of jeans from last year that she can start the school year with. They won't make it through the year, but I bet they will make it to Christmas.

6) If you have a mom like mine who likes to shop for her grandkids, don't be shy about giving her a wishlist. There is a way to do this without sounding rude. I usually say something like, "I know that you are always on the lookout for things that the kids need. They have enough of most everything but I am having a hard time finding PJs."

I hope that this is helpful!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mamabyrd For This Useful Post:

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great Ideas- Thank you for sharing. On Re-Using the Jeans- If they're faded and you want to bring New life to them, wash them with any new Jeans you've purchased, along with 1/2 c. vinegar. It really brings back the color and gives them new life. Alas, I was told by my own children that they're SUPPOSED to be Faded, Mom!

LOL.. am I getting old, or what?
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Liss For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

lol i love the last advice
    Don't have kid but i will find use to the advice

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danghsia For This Useful Post: