Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry Homemade Lunches Banned at Schools!

I saw an article this morning that outraged me as a mother, Some Chicago Schools are BANNING Homemade Lunches, claiming that school lunches are more nutritionally sound!

Chicago school bans homemade lunches, the latest in national food fight - Yahoo! News

It amazes me that the schools feel their lunches are Nutritional. First of all, they cost .+ per meal- which is at LEAST per week, per child. I can tell you, I don't spend a month on lunch for 2 kids!

That's an asinine number! Dh is thrilled that this is taking place in Chicago and not here, as he knows that I would be raising holy hell down at the school district over this ridiculousness!
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FreebieQueen For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Homemade Lunches Banned at Schools!

Sooo basically the school system is saying their meals are more nutritious than what the PARENT is feeding their child? IMHO, that is way over the line!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is just crazy! I can't believe that. I make my kids lunches and hate what they serve at the schools.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I saw that article too. It's unfortunate, but, at the same time, almost the right thing - in certain cases.

I used to work as an admin asst for a landlord and the tenants would bring their kids when they paid the rent. Kids would be less than 5 and have a mouth full of cavities, sipping on kool aid, potato chips, and other junk. When parents are sending their kids to school with "lunches" full of junk, maybe the school lunch is better.

However, I don't think it's the best solution. But I do understand where they're coming from.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is absolutely outrageous. I would be down at the district office so fast....my kids refuse to eat school lunches...one they have to wait in line then don't have time to eat..and two they rarely like what is being served...I pack 1/2 sandwich, fruit, yogurt or cheese stick..sometimes cottage cheese..my kids have said that others have commented about their healthy lunches...but it is what I am choosing to feed my kids...other parents have the right to choose what they feed their children..school district/government should stay out of my kitchen!!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My DD will NOT eat school lunches. I pack her lunch every school day. If they want to change this, I guess we'll have to change school systems...

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My two boys are too young to go to school and I plan on homeschooling anyway. This is completely ridiculous. When I was a kid and this was a long time ago my mom could only afford to pay for milk tickets for the week.I remember they were .15 a ticket. Hot lunch was .75. I brought my lunch from home. It was a luxury for me to get a school lunch. Boo to the Chicago school district. )-:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I read this too. Awful. We don't attend our local school but I do know that kids complain that by the time they get through the line, there is very little time to actually eat the food before needing to get to the next class. Much more time if you take your own lunch.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast