6 More Tips for Cutting your Grocery BudgetH

Here are 6 more tips for cutting your grocery budget: If you followed just a couple of these tips each week at the grocery store, you'd be amazed at how much money

store, grocery, surplus, veggies, freeze, amish, spending, cheese, ready-made, hearty, farmers, month, staples, trips, meals, garden, processing, sales, foods, ahead, items, enjoy, local, stocked, expensive, buying, outlay, rare-, sticking, unexpected, stock, impulsive, avoid, shopping, continue, bread, homemade, occasionally, approx, dense, specials, coupons, economical, recognize, salad, subs/use, cheap-, winter, sandwiches.people, sources

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Piggy 6 More Tips for Cutting your Grocery BudgetH

Here are 6 more tips for cutting your grocery budget:

If you followed just a couple of these tips each week at the grocery store, you'd be amazed at how much money you'd save over time.

1. Tough meat cuts, like pork shoulder and chuck roast, are routinely less expensive than steaks or chops. They do require low, slow cooking methods (think stews and braises), but you'll end up with great tasting, inexpensive dinners that don't require much work.
    2. Learn to cut up whole chickens. It's much cheaper than buying precut chicken, and the technique isn't hard at all.
    3. Don't forget the coupons, but only buy what you might use, not just what's on sale.
    4. The flavor of mashed potatoes beaten with butter and milk is hard to beat. Pair them with the simplest cutlet or chop, and you have a first class meal that's not only easy to prepare, but downright inexpensive.
    5. If a recipe calls for any kind of meat, try cutting it into thin slices. Visually, this gives the impression of volume.
    6. Any time you can use fresh rather than frozen vegetables, do it. They may require a little extra work, but tend to be cheaper (especially when purchased in season) and are definitely more flavorful.

Source:
    Budget-Friendly
    CC,

Yeah, This is my life now!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Candace For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 6 More Tips for Cutting your Grocery BudgetH

good ideas!!! I am learning that fresh vegtables tastes tons better than frozen--I can never get the frozen ones to taste good. thanks for the list!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love reading about tips to save money!!

One of my best tips I've found so far, is having "planned overs"...Food isn't wasted and the family usually gets something 'new' served to them. So far, it's worked well for us.

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like number 1 - with tough cuts of meats I get out the old crock pot. Not only does it do the cooking (not me) the meat will be so tender and moist.
    from the land of moo cows & orange trees

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

The whole "buy tough cuts" things reminds me of my grandmother's pressure cooker...but it's great advice. And I'm a huge fan of whole chickens! Another option for produce, BTW, is to participate in a co-op like "Bountiful Baskets" (Bountiful Baskets). For approximately $30 a week (and the program is weekly, but you can do less frequently if you wish) I get produce that would cost twice as much at the supermarket. I plan my menus around what comes in the basket and they've always got some nice, special items for far less than one would normally buy (organic granola, fresh pressed coconut oil, etc.).

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Adding my own tips...

1. We shop monthly at an Amish-run salvage grocery store, spending avg of $80 on non-perishables/snack items. Lots of brand-names, organic, gourmet foods for less than 1/4 of full value. Nothing tainted or expired. Most from damaged pallets or inventory rollovers of chain stores. Retail value of our haul easily exceeds $200.

2. Huge garden- can or freeze most of our veggies. Traded our surplus veggies at local cafe for free meals. This year I harvested a bushel of popcorn from local farmer who did not want to mess with after-harvest clean-up(free-plus he had old corn sheller). Received 2 bushels sweet corn from farmer's market patch for same reason.(also free)

3. Since meat is most expensive outlay, take advantage of sales and buy as much as your budget/the store will allow. Repackage into usable amounts and freeze. Right now we have at least 40# of ground beef(@$1.99#) in freezer. Buying beef/pork halves from farmers is not worth the expensive processing and initial outlay, if you don't like all the cuts.

4. We are blessed to have a friend who works at a poultry processing plant and passes along his employee discount. Buying in bulk, we have gotten almost 50 lbs of whole chickens and parts for
    $20.

5. Nearby Amish farm sells free-range eggs(@$1.25 doz) and surplus cheese @ half-price from his own source. We shred and freeze the 5# blocks of cheese.

6. When we are stocked up on food, our 2nd grocery allotment of the month goes to Dollar General for paper products, OTC medicines, toiletries etc..

7. COOK FROM SCRATCH!! Convenience foods are budget killers. Don't say you don't have the time... plan ahead and MAKE time. I work 2 jobs and have two family members with disabilities. Crockpot, do prep work ahead, thaw meat day before in fridge, etc.. When you can shop from your "personal grocery store", less time is wasted running to the store for missed items. There's a lot of simple but hearty recipes on the net that are much better than ready-made, but recognize when ready-made is more economical. Ex. Chef salad in winter is not cheap- enjoy at the cafe. Same with subs/use coupons and specials. I occasionally make homemade bread @ approx $.50 per loaf, but too dense for cold sandwiches.People love it as gifts tho.

8.Once you are stocked up this way, continue to buy in quantity as much as possible because you never know when one of your sources will go dry.

9. STAY OUT OF THE GROCERY STORE in between shopping trips unless you are out of staples, avoid impulsive buys by sticking to the list, unless you can stock up on an unexpected sale item. Our trips to Wal Mart are rare- too many temptations and we can usually find what we need elsewhere for less.

10. Utilize every bit of space you have for storage and garden. We live in a small town, rural area with large garden spot and Amish populations scattered within 30 mile radius, advantages not everyone has. But we wouldn't trade where we live for nothing! We do not qualify for food stamps. On average we probably spend MAXIMUM of $300 month, with 5 mouths to feed and enjoy very hearty and delicious meals as well as entertain in style.

11. We have not stepped foot in a mall for YEARS! I find most of our clothing/misc needs in Goodwill, garage sales, or Ebay. We have a Christmas acct and our credit card spending is minimal.
    *Lastly and most important: PAY IT FORWARD!! Although we are cash-poor and can't afford to contribute to charities, our stockpile enables us to bless others in need, regularly sending bagfuls of staples home with friends and leaving surplus summer veggies at our neighbor's back doors.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Buy larger tough cuts of meat then plan your meals around that. Cook large roast in crockpot for dinner number #1 with potatoes and carrots. Dinner is ready when you get home. Dinner # 2 shredded barbeque beef sandwiches. The take a little leftover meat and make homemade vegetable beef soup for dinner #3.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

When I need fresh veggies I buy them when I need them. Otherwise they tend to go bad before I can use it. If you are throwing food away you aren't saving money.