Results 1 to 1 of 1
Thread: Apple Focaccia
08-01-2008, 10:24 AM #1
- Join Date
- Jan 2006
- Raleigh, North Carolina
- Blog Entries
1 small apple, cored and quartered
2 cups unbleached white flour, plus about 2 tbs for kneading
1 tbs sugar (or 2 tsp honey)
1 scant tsp quick-rising yeast
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 to 1/2 cup hot water
1/3 cup raisins
4 medium apples, cored and sliced paper thin
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 to 1/2 cup brown sugar (or 2 tbs blackstrap molasses)
1/4 to 1/3 cup sugar or honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cornstarch (2 tsp if using honey instead of sugar)
pinch each: White pepper, ground cloves, ground cardamom, ground nutmeg
pinch ground ginger (or 1/2 tsp grated ginger root)
2 tbs apricot jam or preserves
1 tsp water
1. For dough, process small apple in food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to small bowl. Place 2 cups flour, sugar or honey, yeast, salt (if desired) and cinnamon in food processor. Process to combine. Add chopped apple and process to combine.
2. With processor running gradually add 1/3 cup hot water through feed tube. Stop machine and let dough rest 20 sec. Continue processing and adding water (if necessary) until dough forms a soft ball and sides of bowl are clean. Pulse 2 or 3 more times.
Sprinkle raisins and flour for kneading onto clean surface. Turn out dough and knead for about 1 minute to incorporate raisins. Add more flour if dough is very sticky.
4. Place dough in lightly floured bowl. Cover with cloth and let rest in a warm, dark place for 15 to 20 min. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 12" or 14" circle. Lay circle in oiled 10" cast-iron skillet or a baking pan, pressing dough up sides. Cover with towel and set aside in warm place.
5. Preheat oven to 400°. For filling, place apple slices in large bowl. Sprinkle lemon juice over slices, then add remaining filling ingredients. Mix well.
6. Spoon filling over dough, decoratively arranging apple slices if desired. Bake for 20 min, then rotate pan 180° and bake for additional 20 to 25 min, or until crust is golden brown. Cool in pan for 5 min. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
7. For glaze, melt jam or preserves in small saucepan over medium heat. Add water and bring to a boil, stirring vigorously. Brush glaze over apples. Makes 8 to 10 servings = 236 calories
The Following User Says Thank You to mos For This Useful Post: