Watermelon Rind Pickles

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Jane

Watermelon Rind Pickles

As for the watermelon rind pickle recipe you will find below, you may be shocked. They’re actually quite good! These make a unique and novel gift – or you could make a huge batch and sell them at a local flea market with samples laid out for your booth visitors. They’ll buy them up – once just for the novelty, but twice for the great tasting pickles these make.

This recipe makes 3 pints and requires the rind of one medium watermelon.

Ingredients:

8 cups prepared rind
      1/2 cup pickling salt (coarse)
      8 cups cold water
      3 cups white granulated sugar
      2 cups white vinegar
      5-6 cinnamon sticks
      Prepare The Rind

Remove dark green peel from watermelon.
      Cut rind into rectangular pieces approximately 1″x2″ until you have 8 cups of rind strips.
      Layer rind and salt in a stainless steel bowl or pickling crock.
      Soak 12 hours.
      Drain and rinse twice in cold water, then place rind and 8 cups cold water into a stainless steel saucepan and boil until fork tender (10 minutes). Drain again.

Prepare The Solution

Combine sugar, vinegar and broken cinnamon sticks in a saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce heat but keep at a slow boil for one hour.

…And Can

Immerse glass mason jars in boiling water for 10 minutes.
      If using self-sealing lids boil as well for 5 minutes.
      Into hot (now sterilized) jars distribute rind strips and add pickling solution to within 1″ of jar top.
      Wipe jar rim before securing lids.

shellybean40

My husband LOVES these. His stepmom used to make then for him, and now that she is gone, I make them. I just made a batch of 9 pints and have some more rind to peel and prepare.

Shelly

mcnerd

Be cautious. That process is old, unsafe, and definitely not “canning”. It requires a Boiling Water Canner processing of the filled jars.

shellybean40

My recipe always calls for processing these in a boiling water bath. I do not follow old recipe instructions that do not call for processing the jars-you’ re right , it is not safe.
      Shelly

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.