1 3/4 C. Masa Harina
1 1/8 cups hot water
Combine both ingredients in a medium bowl, mixing until thoroughly combined. Overturn onto a clean surface that has been lightly dusted with masa harina and knead until the dough is smooth and pliable. Place it back in the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes.
Preheat a Griddle over medium high heat.
Place the tortilla into the heated pan and cook about 25 seconds on each side, until they are slightly browned/puffy.
If your tortillas stick, they are too wet. (add more Masa Harina)
If they crumble, they are too dry. (add more liquid)
Alternatively, they can be baked on oven grates to make "stand up" tortilla shells.
Masa Harina is generally found in 5lb bags in the Ethnic foods section of your grocery store for about $3. (on average) per bag.
Also as one of our members pointed out, you can make your own Taco Salad Bowls as well: Just prepare as above, then:
1. Line a cookie sheet with paper towels and place 3 small bowls upside down on the towels.
2. Heat about 1 inch of oil or shortening in a skillet.
3. Use tongs to put the tortillas in the hot oil.
4. Don't turn your back on these or they will burn.
5. Remove when they are golden brown , and drape over a bowl to cool.
Fry one at a time. By the time you get to the third one, the first one should be cool and hard.
You can also fry them. Place them on paper towels. sprinkle with salt and serve with salsa.