Bad Tip Prewash or Rinse the plates clean before
False. While this used to be true in the very first dishwashers & detergents- the New Detergents on the market actually NEED food particles on the plate to activate the enzymes in the detergent to clean properly. Pre-rinsing and washing off the plates not only is a waste of water, but it washes away the enzymes necessary to activate your detergent!
This tip is ONLY useful if you're using your own homemade dishwasher detergent.
Bad Tip #2 Once the cleaning cycle is finished , open the dishwasher to allow your dishes to air dry.
I don't know about you, but the reason I have the dishwasher is to sterilize my dishes each and every time they're washed. I like knowing that any possible germs are fried when the heat cycle is on. While it may cost .02 more per wash- It's an investment in our families health and well being. Air drying dishes leaves them open to anything floating around your home, pet hair, kids' sneezes & cough splatters, pollen, dust, etc.
Tips you can take to the bank:
- Only run the dishwasher through when it's full, rather than half full. (Overloading it also a bad idea
- Avoid using the "Rinse Hold" feature on your dishwasher, as this uses an additional 3-7 gallons of hot water each time
- Avoid the "Pre-Wash" feature, (which is recommended only for burned on or very dried on food)
- Check the manual that came with your dishwasher for the manufacturer's recommendations on water temperature; Most dishwashers contain their own internal heating elements built in that allow you to set the water heater in your home to a lower temperature (120-125°F).
If shopping for a new dishwasher:
- Be sure to look for the ENERGY STAR label, which ensures that the dishwasher model uses less water and 25% less energy than required by federal standards.
Finally: A cleaning Tip for Dirty Dishwashers!
To Effortlessly wash your dishwasher - add 1 packet of unsweetened Cheap Brand Lemonade (generic kool-aid) to the Soap dispenser cup (no soap!) and run through 1 economy cycle (no heat). This works wonderfully to leave the dishwasher sparkling clean, without having to purchase those overpriced dishwasher cleaners (often $7 or more per bottle!)