Re: Needing Budget Friendly Ideas for a Luau Themed Graduation Party
Hi Michelle, welcome to the site . . .
Here are various ideas:
Make the doorway the entrance to a big sandcastle. Build sandcastles out of cardboard and spray paint them with faux-sand (available at walmart) or you can make a glue spray and literally throw clean dry sand onto it while it's wet.
Make flags out of lightweight cloth to fly from the castle top and attach them to small wooden rods, Write your custom message on the flags, like "Welcome" or "Michelle's Graduation Beach Bash."
You can often get plastic leis at the dollar store
Create a 'Tiki Bar' - complete with supplies for Virgin Pina Colada's & Virgin Daiquiris. - Set up a blender, fresh fruit and supplies, add some pretty daiquiri glasses ($1 at walmart) in the seasonal section.
Hang beach balls from the ceiling and in doorways. (dirt cheap at the dollar store) as well as b-lights (the small Christmas lights) and string plastic sand shovels on them, too.
Consider making enough to line the driveway or sidewalk with your sandcastle flags. Use the colors of your grad's school (either past or future).
Use 'tropical colors' for your tablecloths--yellow, green, hot pink, melon, orange and bright blue, and add small items like sea shells to the table.
* 6 slices bacon
* 1/4 cup pineapple juice
* 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* freshly ground black pepper to taste
* salt to taste
* 1 (10 ounce) package chopped romaine lettuce
* 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
* 1/2 cup chopped and toasted macadamia nuts
* 3 green onions, chopped
* 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
2. In a cruet or jar with a lid, combine pineapple juice, red wine vinegar, oil, pepper and salt. Cover and shake well.
3. In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce, pineapple, macadamia nuts, green onions and bacon. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Garnish with toasted coconut.
1. In a shallow glass dish, mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, sherry, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic powder. Stir the chicken pieces and pineapple into the marinade until well coated. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours.
2. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken and pineapple alternately onto skewers. Grill 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally, or until chicken juices run clear.
This 5-star copycat Olive Garden Hot Artichoke Spinach dip recipe brings all the fabulous flavors of the restaurant to the comfort of your own home. A hearty blend of artichoke hearts, spinach, cream cheese, parmesan cheese and seasonings all together in a cheesy, full flavor dish you'll love time and again!
(C) Melissa 'Liss' Burnell & Budget101.com 1995-2016Material from www.Budget101.com may not be copied or distributed, or republished, uploaded, posted, or transmitted in any way, without the prior written consent of Budget101.com, EXCEPT: you may print recipe pages for your personal, non-commercial home use only, provided you do not delete or change any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary notices. Modification or use of the materials for any other purpose violates Budget101.com's intellectual property rights.