Mealy bug infestations leave a sticky waste residue known as Honeydew, if it's not removed from the plant a black fungus known as "sooty mold" will grow on the plant.
There are several different ways to remove mealybugs:
- If you see ladybugs nearby, pick them up gently and place them on your infected plants. Ladybugs will devour the mealybugs and their residue.
- Spray the plant with a steady stream of water until the
- Use alcohol on a cotton ball with a toothpick or commercial "Q" swab stick for mealybug control. Swab gently until all bugs and honeydew have been removed.
How to Prevent Mealybug Infestations:
- Quarantine all new plants brought into the home for 10 days, keep them away from your current indoor plants and watch for any signs of infestation of any pests.
- Do not Over-water your plants, as this attracts mealy bugs and other pests.
Although mealy bugs are not known for "biting" people, be sure to wash your hands and clothing thoroughly after coming into contact with them.