On one evening (per week or bi-weekly) your friend will watch your children for the evening (or all night), and on another evening, you'll return the favor by watching her children, for the same period of time.
Setting Ground Rules are very important, as it is easy with our hectic lives to take advantage without realizing it.
- Rule #1. Find a Parent, whom you trust, with children approximately the same age as your own children. This helps prevent squabbles and helps your children look forward to having extra playmates.
- Rule #2. Choose a particular night out that you would like to make your weekly date night, or bi-weekly night. Bi-weekly arrangements seem to work best for those engaging in a kid swap.
- Rule #3. Determine the amount of time that will be allotted per swap. Will you agree to watch the children for 4 hours, 8 hours, all night?
- Rule #4. Put everything into writing! Print a Calendar on your computer with the swap dates and times written in. Both families should receive a copy so everyone is clear.
Can't afford to go Out on your Night Off?
- Use your time to reconnect with your spouse, at home.
- Catch a movie (from the library, swap with some friends, or rent one)
- Enjoy a long walk
- Hike a nearby trail & have a picnic
- Have a candlelit dinner
- Go Fishing
- Go Geocaching