If you're a parent (or a coach) of a Middle School
- It Needs to be Fast -they often need to eat fast & most parents don't have a lot of extra time to spend preparing the dish.
- It needs to be Filling- self explanatory.
- It needs to be Affordable- nothing says budget drain like feeding 75+ Teenagers with seemingly hollow legs.
Here are a few of our Favorite Suggestions for feeding an entire football team on a budget:
- Monster Sandwiches- Use french bread or Italian bread & Slice into 6 pieces per loaf, use egg salad, ham salad, chicken salad as fillers
- BBQ Beef, Pork or Chicken- Cook in a crockpot, shred it, add BBQ Sauce serve with rolls (Whatever you can find for meat that is on sale).
- Homemade Mac-n-Cheese with Diced ham & Broccoli
- Meatballs- can be made ahead of time, dumped in several different crockpots with different sauces, a beef gravy in one, sweet and sour sauce in another, marinara or spaghetti sauce in a third. Serve with rolls,
- Meatballs over Rice- once again, large pot of meatballs, various sauce choice served over rice
- Chicken Alfredo or Chicken Tetrazzini
- Salad should be kept simple- shredded lettuce with shredded carrots & Ranch Dressing.
- Taco Casserole
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Chop Suey
- Shepards Pie - relatively easy to make, filling
- Pasta Bar- this one is especially easy if several parents are working together. Each parent prepares 1 type of sauce (tomato Sauce, Cream Sauce, Pesto, etc) and make it ahead of time. Then a large pot of Pasta.
- Chili- chicken chili, beef chili, all bean chili
- Baked Beans, Franks & Coleslaw
- Baked potato bar with the works. Get big bakers wrap each in foil bake till done. Set up an 'All the fixins' bar
- Diced ham
- cooked chopped bacon
- Diced onions or scallions
- sour cream
- cooked broccoli
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Chicken Pasta Salad- Cook 2 boxes of macaroni, rinse, drain, add 2 bottle Ranch Dressings, 1 lb cooked diced bacon, 2 cups shredded carrots, 1 bag rinsed thawed (frozen) peas, 4 cups diced cooked chicken or turkey.
If you have additional Ideas or recipes, please feel free to add them in the comments area below!