If you're a parent (or a coach) of a Middle School or High School football team student, you know exactly what I'm referring to. Many times the parents take turns hosting "pasta feeds" the night before (or the night of, the big game). Generally speaking, here are the requirements that I've become all to familiar with:
- It Needs to be Fast -they often need to eat fast & most parents don't have a lot of extra time to spend preparing the dish.
- It needs to be Filling- self explanatory.
- It needs to be Affordable- nothing says budget drain like feeding 75+ Teenagers with seemingly hollow legs.
Here are a few of our Favorite Suggestions for feeding an entire football team on a budget:
- Monster Sandwiches- Use french bread or Italian bread & Slice into 6 pieces per loaf, use egg salad, ham salad, chicken salad as fillers
- BBQ Beef, Pork or Chicken- Cook in a crockpot, shred it, add BBQ Sauce serve with rolls (Whatever you can find for meat that is on sale).
- Homemade Mac-n-Cheese with Diced ham & Broccoli
- Meatballs- can be made ahead of time, dumped in several different crockpots with different sauces, a beef gravy in one, sweet and sour sauce in another, marinara or spaghetti sauce in a third. Serve with rolls, salad.
- Meatballs over Rice- once again, large pot of meatballs, various sauce choice served over rice
- Chicken Alfredo or Chicken Tetrazzini
- Salad should be kept simple- shredded lettuce with shredded carrots & Ranch Dressing.
- Taco Casserole
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Chop Suey
- Shepards Pie - relatively easy to make, filling
- Pasta Bar- this one is especially easy if several parents are working together. Each parent prepares 1 type of sauce (tomato Sauce, Cream Sauce, Pesto, etc) and make it ahead of time. Then a large pot of Pasta.
- Chili- chicken chili, beef chili, all bean chili
- Baked Beans, Franks & Coleslaw
- Baked potato bar with the works. Get big bakers wrap each in foil bake till done. Set up an 'All the fixins' bar
- Diced ham
- cooked chopped bacon
- Diced onions or scallions
- sour cream
- cooked broccoli
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Chicken Pasta Salad- Cook 2 boxes of macaroni, rinse, drain, add 2 bottle Ranch Dressings, 1 lb cooked diced bacon, 2 cups shredded carrots, 1 bag rinsed thawed (frozen) peas, 4 cups diced cooked chicken or turkey.
If you have additional Ideas or recipes, please feel free to add them in the comments area below!