- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated onion
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 pound chicken or turkey, sliced into 1/4" thick strips
Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, blending well. Place 1 lb of sliced raw meat into a large ziploc bag, pour the marinade over the meat. Close the bag, using your fingers, work the marinade around all of the meat pieces, carefully, making sure each piece is thoroughly coated in marinade. Remove as much air as possible from the bag, seal. Place the meat in the fridge for 18-24 hours.
Place the raw marinated meat in strips on a tray in the oven at 160F for 30 minutes (Before drying!) Then Dry using your favorite method.
If using processed (sandwich) meat, it is not necessary to bake it for 30 minutes BEFORE Drying.
The USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline's current recommendation for making jerky safely is to heat meat to 160 °F and poultry to 165 °F before the dehydrating process.
If using Wild Turkey in this recipe, please be sure the meat has been frozen for at least 60 days at 0°F (-18°C) , to kill any potential parasites.
© Can Stock Photo Inc. / BWFolsom