Cadbury's Cream Eggs
1/2 C. light corn syrup
1/4 C. butter -- softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
3 C. powdered sugar
4 Drops yellow food coloring
2 Drops red food coloring
1 Bag milk chocolate chips -- (12 ounce)
2 Tablespoons vegetable shortening
1. Combine the corn syrup, butter, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl. Beat well with an electric mixer until smooth.
2. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing by hand after each addition. Mix well until creamy.
3. Remove about 1/3 of the mixture and place it into a small bowl. Add the yellow and red food coloring and stir well to combine.
4. Cover both mixtures and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until firm.
5. When mixtures are firm, roll a small, marble-size ball from the orange filling, and wrap around it a portion of the white filling that is roughly twice the size. Form this filling into the shape of an egg and place it onto a cookie sheet that has been brushed with a light coating of shortening. Repeat for the remaining filling ingredients, then refrigerate these centers for 3-4 hours or until firm.
6. Combine the milk chocolate chips with the shortening in a glass or ceramic bowl. Microwave chocolate on high speed for 1 minute, then stir and microwave again for 1 more minute, and stir.
7. Use a fork to dip each center into the chocolate, tap the fork on the side of the bowl, then place each candy onto wax paper. Chill.
8. After 1-2 hours of chilling, dip each candy once more and chill for several hours, or until completely firm.
Makes 2 dozen candy eggs.
submitted by Dianne