Take out isn't exactly quick or easy in our area, we have to drive a minimum of an hour to get to a place offering Chinese take-out... so I scoured various cookbooks and recipes and tried several, always slightly disappointed
It had to be quick and easy, because with the kids in sports every night, wrestling matches on the weekends, etc WHO has time to spend an hour in the kitchen playing Betty Crocker?? Not I!
- 1 large onion, peeled, sliced, separated
- 2-3 stalks of celery, washed, sliced thin
- 1 lb pork or chicken, sliced thin across the grain
- 2-3 T. Olive Oil
- 2-3 T. Soy Sauce
- 1-2 tsp Corn Starch
- 1 Lg can Bean Sprouts, drained and rinse
- 1/2 tsp Chinese 5 Spice Seasoning
- 1 c. cold chicken or pork stock
Heat oil in large skillet or wok until hot, add sliced vegetables.
Saute Vegetables for 5 minutes, uncovered. Make a well in the center, add raw pork or chicken, stirring occasionally until browned and cooked through.
Add Soy Sauce, bean sprouts,
Serve over a bed of steamed rice, if desired. Generally we prefer to serve this over steamed jasmine rice.
This recipe is also great to use up leftover chicken or grilled pork, but reduce cooking time to prevent toughness in the meat.