1 1/2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 cup Warm Water (110 F)
2 teaspoons Vegetable Oil
1/4 teaspoon Salt
*Cornstarch, for dusting
Whole wheat tortillas are lower in saturated fat, have very little (if any) cholesterol and are considerably higher in fiber than traditional tortillas that are made with lard and white flour.
In a large bowl combine flours, salt, baking powder, mixing well, add in oil and water until a dough forms. Turn the dough on a lightly floured board and knead until smooth. Alternatively, the ingredients can be dumped into a stand mixer & you can let the mixer do the work.
Divide dough into 12 equal balls and dust each one with cornstarch. If using a tortilla press, place the dough in the center of the press which has been lightly dusted with cornstarch (a sifter works great for dusting evenly!) then press the dough. If you want to make this process completely effortless, this is how I make mine:
- Tear off a sheet of wax paper.
- Fold the wax paper in half diagonally so it fits properly in the press
- Place the wax paper in the press with the open end facing the hinge side of the press and the folded part of the wax paper is at the handle side of the press
- Put your dough ball about 1 inch off center towards the hinge of the press and then fold over the other half of the wax paper and close the press. The dough ball needs to be off center in order to keep it evenly pressed. If you mistakenly place it in the center it tends to get pushed forward too much and hangs off the press.
- Now, Open the press and run the wax paper with your hand a few times prior to peeling of the paper to break the bond. Flip it over and repeat on the other side, this will make the tortilla fall right out of the paper easily.
If you don't have a tortilla press, simply roll out the dough on a lightly floured board, thinly into a circle.
Drop onto a very hot un-greased griddle. Cook until brown spots appear on one side. Turn and cook on second side. Yield: 12 large tortillas
© Can Stock Photo Inc. / PixelsAway